AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Adobe Media Encoder - Encoding Frame Sequences

I am able to successfully send video files to be converted via Media Encoder.

I haven’t been able to get a file sequence to encode. This does work manually in AME, but in the Deadline submitter for AME there is no option for frame ranges, and trying a few different file name configurations to try and have it read a sequence didn’t seem to work. I can get it to encode a single DPX frame - it defaults to doing a few seconds worth of the still frame.

Is there a way of making this happen that I’m missing?

Thanks,
Sam

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell the Adobe ME “web-service” to expect a frame range. I believe our support team contacted an Adobe engineer who confirmed that the AME web-service was only ever designed to handle single movie files.

Very well. Thanks for the info. FFMpeg it is I guess.

There is a nasty hack where it seems if you can generate a FCP XML file, we can throw that at AME and the XML file can contain a sequence, but we have no way to generate a FCP XML file currently or at least, I’m not sure this workflow is actually that useful?

That’s interesting - yes presumably that would work, if we could generate the XML quickly/easily. Alternatively, are you able to submit Premiere projects to AME through Deadline? There would need to be some way of telling it what to actually render - what sequence, work area etc, but perhaps that could work too. That would require more work at the front end if you were just converting sequences, but would be handy for doing outputs directly from Premiere.

I actually just set it up with FFMpeg instead, and I do have that working. Basically we just want to automate generating a ProRes from a Windows machine by using the Macs that are hanging around. I am not getting updates in the monitor as the job progresses with FFMpeg, though. The updates do show up in the slave log locally. Unfortunately, connecting to the slave log from the monitor also doesn’t seem to work. Should I start a new thread for that stuff?

Yup, Premiere Pro project files are supported as well (we have a file filter in the monitor submitter that allows it). However, I haven’t tested this workflow myself, so I’m not entirely sure how it will work out. I don’t believe we have a license of PP, so I will see if that is possible, so we can do some testing. Actually, I’ve been meaning to figure out if we could build an in-app submitter as well for PP to submit to AME. Again, not sure how useful that would actually be for people…

re: job updates in ffmpeg.
Looking at the ffmpeg plugin code, we are not currently reporting progress, so that would explain why! Should be easy to add support for, assuming the ffmpeg actually provides some kind of “progress” in its StdOut in the Slave log? Can you create a separate thread or private ticket and provide some example Slave logs and we can take a look.

re: streaming remote Slave log
I would create a private support ticket: support.thinkboxsoftware.com/
Typically, this is a DNS/IP address/firewall block kind of issue in your setup.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences