AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Writing a submission script for job with two tasks

Hey Everyone,

I need some advice.

We have some artists that are using a cloud based render farm owned by a third party. The artists need to ftp their assets to the farm and then kick off a render with a command that is run from the command line. I think this can be handled in Deadline by creating a new submission script. Basically, I would create a GUI that the lighters can use to get all the information they need. When they hit the submit button, the job will deliver the assets and start the render.

At first, I was going to write a single Python script that handled the delivery and the render. The user would see just one task in the monitor. However, now I have been wondering if this job is best handled with two tasks. One task would do the delivery. Once that task completes successfully then the second will start the render.

What is the best way to write this? Maybe kicking off the render can be a Post Task script? Any insight would be appreciated!

This seems pretty cut and dry at least.

I’d submit two jobs at once using the deadlinecommand -SubmitMultipelJobs -dependent command line function. That’ll chain the two jobs together. Info here:
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … mand-lines
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produc … submission (duplicate info it turns out)

The benefit of it being two jobs is that any errors can be handled gracefully.

We’ve also got a good blog post about how to make a new render plugin if you want to try to run your FTP transfer as a real application instead of just using the command line plugin. That’s here:
deadline.thinkboxsoftware.com/fe … ew-plugins

As for the UI, can you flesh that out a bit? Are they going to need a submitter, or are you going to just have some standalone app that writes job files and submits them?

Thanks for the reply! They will be using a GUI. I can show you the storyboards I have created if you are interested. However, I probably cannot share the images in the forum.

Forgot to mention this. I am working on a submitter. The GUI is part of a new submission script.

Fair enough. I think you’ll get pretty far solo if you have an idea of what you want the submitter to look like and how you expect the process to go. Let us know if you get stuck anywhere conceptually or otherwise.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences