AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline 9.0.3 Slave won't launch

Hi,

We’ve just auto-upgraded to 9.0.3 and now multiple render machines won’t launch their slave. If I manually navigate to the folder and launch the .exe I can at least get it to write out a log file:

There are no other slaves running on the system, I restarted, uninstalled and re-installed Deadline and still couldn’t get it to launch. I then found a blank named “.ini” file in “C:\ProgramData\Thinkbox\Deadline9\slaves” which I deleted and now the slave will launches. We’ve had this happen on multiple machines and periodically we get situations where the slave won’t launch. Just wanted to check if this was something breaking during the update. As it’s incredibly frustrating to debug!

Thanks

Nick

No, it’s been around a long while actually. It’s down to how the Launcher talks to the Slave, and the fact that the Slave assumes another instance is already running if the TCP port it used on last launch is in use (even if the app in question is not the Slave).

I’m pretty sure we’re working on that now.

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for the update. I’ll keep an eye on it to see if it does it again, it doesn’t happen very often but I’m pretty sure something similar has caught me out on previous updates.

Thanks

Nick

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences