AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Pipeline Tools, Quick Draft and Audio

Is it is possible to add an audio field in the Quick Draft settings within the Pipeline Tools window? I know it’s a very simple implementation but being able to quickly add an audio file would be very useful and save us having to write a whole new draft implementation to handle it. We’ve found the Pipeline Tools to be very effective for us on the latest job we’ve been working on but we really need to add audio and I don’t want to write a whole draft implementation from scratch to handle this. The interface you’ve got is clean and straight forward for the artists to use and having them specify their shot/task saves us having to work out what they’re submitting and where they are!

An ideal situation would be to have a field on the Draft window that you can manually populate with an audio or movie file. Then on the Project Management window an optional override to get the audio from a field on Shotgun, although I’m guessing you’re only getting tasks not the actual shots themselves which is where we store the information. I’m aware this is a bit more studio specific (although with a configurable audio field I’m sure other Shotgun users would find it useful) but your implementation is working really well for us and I’m loath to move away from it if we don’t have to.

Thanks

Nick

Makes sense to me! On to the Draft dev system it goes!

With the Draft UI being abstracted out finally in 8.0 this should hopefully be pretty straightforward. I’m pretty sure we won’t be tying it into Shotgun directly as that specific effort is tough to justify (we try to spend our time wisely and hit as many folks as possible when we build features). I think the ability to specify some file with an audio stream followed by a codec-specific way to pull the audio might work, but I’m not an expert there and it could be harder than I realize.

Great, an option for audio will be certainly be useful to us, I looked in the draft documentation and it seems to support it, it’s always a pain getting the audio and video synced up though!

With regards to getting the information from Shotgun that would still be our ultimate goal but I understand it’s a bit too bespoke. This is an example of where a python scripted auto filling system on the gui could be useful to us though. If we could put a wildcard in the field that triggers a script to auto fill the field we could query shotgun ourselves for the data or even just add a dirty path replacement script in. We would need access to some specific program/scene file variables or other gui fields to establish what shot people were on though… Again maybe out of the scope of what you guys are doing though. :wink:

Nick

In general I’d much rather we push a bunch of extra data over to the submission side. I’m more of an influencer there though, so it’ll ultimately be up to the integration team, but we’ll see if they can push more info over (I also need to see how that’s done in the first place).

As I said it’s probably too studio specific but we don’t have the time in studio to develop custom submitters for every package we use and I prefer to be able to hook it into your submitters somehow, it’s clearer for the artists what’s happening then as well. I guess I could try and modify the Draft event script to deal with it as you already put a lot of the shotgun information in the extra task fields but then I’d have to get it working with our Python environment and codebase which is never pleasant!

Nick

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences