AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Group tasks in a job?

Hello,

I need to submit a job to deadline. It’s structure is like this: It’s a group of 3 tasks. The 2nd and 3rd tasks should have sub tasks (or children in the job tree). Can we do this? I know the BatchName groups the submissions under a single root but don’t know how can it have another tree inside that.
i.e. this is the structure if the main job expands:

Job
|
– Task1
– Task2
|
– Subtask1
– Subtask2

– Task3
|
– Subtask1
– Subtask2

Please help.
Thanks,
Jojan

To add:
If my usage of the term Task is confusing, please replace it with Job everywhere as they are actually deadline jobs.

To be more clear, I am talking about Arnold job here and the 3rd job is some cleanup tasks to delete .ass files used for render, each depending on the corresponding frame’s kick job.

After another check now, I see we can pass a sequence of .ass files in single job by specifying a numbered file and then the frames will automatically be calculated by using the given frames list in the job. Will check this. But the cleanup job will have to wait for the whole .ass files usage before deleting the first .ass file among them which is not a big concern anyway.

Well, we’re not quite Tractor so sub-tasks don’t really exist here. Instead, we do everything as job hierarchies that can have frame-dependencies on each. Essentially don’t work on the task for frames 20-30 until the parent job has completed the task that will handle frames 0-50.

The batch names are also just for show in the Monitor (they’re not functional in the queuing mechanism) and we don’t support multiple depths yet).

For tying jobs together, this blog post is great to give you an overview:
deadline.thinkboxsoftware.com/fe … it-depends

For actually making that work, your workflow seems pretty linear so you can use deadlinecommands SubmitMultipleJobs command to handle that. There are a few examples:
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produ … submission
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produ … mand-lines

How are you planning on submitting these jobs? It looks like you’ll need three (one per operation) so I can give you directed help if you’ve got a game plan.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences