AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Manually Point Database to IP?

Trying to set up some remote computers, using zerotier to link everything together. Networking stuff seems ok, can ping everything using the specific IP from zerotier 10.147.etc.etc (however, not the computer name), shared the repository drive. However, the issue seems to be that when I try to connect to the repository via monitor, it is looking for the mongoDB at the wrong ip (my local ip 192.168.etc.etc) and not via the 10.147.etc.etc range.

What am I missing here? It would seem I am connected all around, Iā€™ve mapped the drives and can ping, but it is looking for the mongoDB at a location I canā€™t seem to change. Fully admit I am not good with networking, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Just cracked it. For those interested, there is a host file under ā€œc:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hostsā€ in which I manually entered the ip and which host name it corresponds to. can now ping host name and it resolves to the correct IP, and am now in monitor with no trouble

this might be a ā€œyeah, duhā€ for most of you folk, but Iā€™m super green at networking issues, so this took me a while to troubleshoot

You can also remove the host name from the equasion by editing ā€œ[repo]/settings/connection.iniā€ and finding the ā€œhostname=ā€ line. Setting up a static DNS name isnā€™t bad either, itā€™ll just require changing multiple machines.

Iā€™ve also never heard of ZeroTier, so I learned something today!

Yup, good call: much better solution. I KNEW there was a dead simple config file, just couldnā€™t figure out where the stupid thing was.

Zerotier: pretty straight forward, free up to 100 machines. Not bad. I have no idea how to really use it, but they have apps for just about everything (even my NAS), and normal network issues aside, it just works.

I will sheepishly admit that I am using this on a paperspace instance right now, to test out some cloud computing. I (briefly) tried AWS, but its a bit too daunting for me, so Iā€™m hoping release 10 will maybe make it a bit easier to onboard network dummies like myself.

^ Me with most IT tools :smiley:

Better network setup is the plan in Deadline 10. If itā€™s set up on the DB/Repo machine it should be pretty clean once itā€™s all installed and configured properly.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences