AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline tmp folder lint

I recently noticed that deadline saves a copy of every submission we have ever done in the user’s temp folder. We have been having issues lately where the C drives are filled on artists workstations and we had no idea. After some digging around and additional plugins to help us find out where all this data was we found out it was because of deadline.

C:\Users\jmartini\AppData\Local\Thinkbox\Deadline9\temp

Is there a maxscript setting or function i can call to delete everything in this folder. Otherwise I was just going to write a maxscript that just deletes the entire temp folder prior to any submission or when max is opened.

Each time the integrated submitter (SMTD) is launched, it calls the function SMTDFunctions.cleanUpSubmissionFolders().
By default, this deletes all submission sub-directories except for the ones from the current date.
To delete them all, you can provide the optional keyword argument all:true.
It also has an exclude:#() keyword argument which can be set to an array of folder path names to not be deleted.

If your users are submitting using SMTD, they should not have the folders filling up.
If however you are using your own internal submitter that only calls SMTDFunctions to produce the jobs, and/or it employs the call to SMTDFunctions.createSubmissionFolderAndUpdatePaths() to generate sub-folders for each submission, then it would be your responsibility to call the cleanup function and purge the older than one day ones…

The reasons we create a new folder for each job are:
-We want to keep the results files around for debugging purposes.
-We don’t want two processes to step on each-other’s toes, e.g. running two instances of 3ds Max and launching a submission from each one of them would be a problem unless we write the data to individual uniquely named folders.
-At some point I had plans to perform submissions asynchronously (in other words, not wait for the command to complete, but launch and forget, and move to the next one). The waitForCommandToComplete() function actually has a dontWait: optional keyword argument which defaults to false. It was never enabled to the public, but I still have the plan which would include a Submission Queue Viewer showing the status and results of any number of parallel submissions. This would be great for things like Jigsaw Animation and Batch submissions which are currently sequential and thus rather slow.

Hope this helps!

Super helpful surplus of information Bobo thank you so much for the detailed breakdown of the backend. It’s good to know how that is all work and for what reasons.

Thank you

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences