Cloud Repo

Discussion and Support of Deadline, the Render Management System
im_thatoneguy

Cloud Repo

Postby im_thatoneguy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:28 pm

At what point does it make sense to just run your Deadline Repository in the cloud? With the move to a database from file-based system, do we still need to upload/download a lot of data or is it just lightweight database operations?
Gavin Greenwalt
Gavin[47]SFStudios.com
im.thatoneguy[47]gmail.com

im_thatoneguy

Re: Cloud Repo

Postby im_thatoneguy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:30 pm

Along those lines, is it possible to move your deadline permanent licenses to the On-Demand infrastructure to no longer run a license server? And automatically keep the license up to date on Thinkbox's side? It's really annoying having to update our FlexLM license files every few months when a new product update comes out. I would much rather point at like Licensing.Thinkboxsoftware.com and be done with it once and for all.
Gavin Greenwalt
Gavin[47]SFStudios.com
im.thatoneguy[47]gmail.com

eamsler

Postby eamsler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:27 pm

I'll tackle the usage-based licensing first. They're different SKUs with different costs, so you'd want to do the math make sure that you'd be getting your money's worth. You can't convert your traditional licenses to move up there and it would go from a permanent or yearly license to a per-minute approach purchased in X hour increments. The good news is that it is going to work across any Deadline version.

For the database, I'm not quite following here. The DB can run anywhere. Our integrations usually assume your DB is running on-prem, even with Deadline 10's new AWS Portal.
Edwin Amsler
Head of Support
Thinkbox Software Inc
+1-866-419-0283 ext 804

Winnipeg

delineator

Postby delineator » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:50 am

Edwin, I actually had a question about that: if most of the compute and file swapping is taking place on AWS, then would it not make sense to locate the database in the cloud? I'm just thinking that our biggest bottleneck is our upload bandwidth, so if AWS needs to suck up GB's of files come render time over and over again, maybe it would just make sense to locate the database in the cloud.

Also, if the database were in the cloud, couldn't this make multi-site or offsite submittals a bit easier (wouldn't have to open up our database or connect to it via vpn)?

I'm just getting into this right now and messing around with it, so I'm trying to figure out which scales better

Return to “Thinkbox Software - Deadline”