AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Black Bars in Render. Never seen before locally

Hello,

I am running into some weird artifacts on occassional frames from deadline that I have never seen before rendered locally.
I am rendering Maya- Redshift

I have a snippet of the issue but I cant show or share any actual content.
But these bars appear across the entire image in the color and Alpha channels.

Has this been seen before?
render-bars-sample.png

That does seem fairly odd. Can you try rendering via the Maya GUI on one of the render nodes? I’ve never seen this either, and I’m not really sure how Deadline would play into this. Even tile rendering wouldn’t have made a checkerboard pattern.

I havent been able to recreate the issue yet.

We tend to get 99% of the renders perfectly fine, and if this happens, just simply re-rendering fixes it typically.

so it seems random, and maybe its as simple as just being a server hiccup.

That being said,

Would it be possible if someone has the scene renders “reading” inside of nuke. like caching an animation, while deadline is rendering the same files. Could that cause weird scanline errors too? i’d assume so but maybe it can cause this artifacting

If you have the option “Enable Local Rendering” checked during submission, the above should not be possible, as the files would be written locally, and then copied over to their final destination when done. This way, the Nuke nodes would not be able to see a file until it is fully written. But I believe the Local Rendering option is off by default, so who knows…

I have seen a renderer that handles its output file as an on-disk frame buffer, writing tiles to it as it goes (last time it happened to me was with Entropy in 2005 though, I feel old). But I would assume that if Redshift was writing to an open file, it would lock it so that another application could not open it. That being said, I don’t know how Redshift writes the output file, so hopefully its developers will have better ideas…

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences