AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline license server on virtual machine

Hi,
we are upgrading our servers and would like to move our license server to be a virtual machine. Pretty much just want to know if the license server will work on a virtual machine running windows 7 x64?

Yup! That’s how we run ours actually. For the relocation, just reach out to thinkbox-sale@amazon.com. :slight_smile:

Thanks, that helps a lot, we will finally upgrade to v 10 too, looking forward to it.

You guys are ahead of the pack then… the foundry doesn’t allow it :confused:

Hmm. Good to know… Has anyone given it a try lately or is there some press release I can skim over? This may bite a few folks in the butt…

At the previous study I worked I was looking into putting all our license servers together in a vm on one of our VM host nodes.
For safety and ease.

But RLM for many vendors will not launch the specific vendor deamon when running on a VM as the settings disable it.
So thats how I found out that my project stranded immediately :frowning:

I just dont like these things on bare metal…

yeah,
we have an ancient hp g5 unit running all our licenses which is thankfully being replaced. Needless to say we are on borrowed time. I’ve been contacting all our software vendors and pretty much asking the same question. So far all of them support licensing on a vm. We don’t use nuke here, run fusion instead and they don’t even have a floating license. Interestingly itoo software (forest pack pro and railclone) require you to set cpu affinity for the licensing vm.

They might be trying to protect themselves against piracy (since that risk comes with VM’s and virtual NIC’s/Physical adresses).
They could be using the CPU serial number to attach their license to?

yeah,
that’s what they said. They are using the ID of a cpu to identify the hardware. On virtualized environments this ID may change, because a different physical CPU is assigned to the virtual machine each time that it is rebooted.

Interesting, I use to run the Foundry’s Flexlm on a VM just fine (All 4 of my License servers were migrated just fine over to run as VM, removing all physical tin. ~approx 60 different licensing systems, hence 4 x VM’s! :wink:). I wonder if they disabled the equiv. setting on the RLM daemon when they migrated their end users over to this alternate licenser server. A good question for Foundry support to confirm for you…

Yes RLM gives them the option to disable/disallow its use on VM’s.

RLM itself I think works on VM’s.

So does FlexLM. We made the choice and allowing VMs made more sense.

It certainly does now seeing as you’ve joined a company that runs half the internet in vm’s :stuck_out_tongue:

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences