AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

IIS?

Since Nginx isn’t supported on Windows I figured I would try deploying a native Windows solution that would stay up to date and be maintainable using standard windows admin tools.

1. Install the IIS Web Server role using the Windows Roles and Servers manager if it’s not already installed on your Server.
  2. Install the AAR plugin iis.net/downloads/microsoft … st-routing
  3. Install URL-Rewrite plugin iis.net/downloads/microsoft/url-rewrite
  4. Delete your default Webpage.
  5. Create a new webpage (Sites -> Add Site). Give it a name like “Deadline Reverse Proxy”
  6. Give it a random physical path with nothing in it (this isn’t important).
  7. Bind it to https \ all Unassigned \ 443 (or something else)
  8. Host name: Give it your host name. In my case it’s <deadline.company.com> Click OK.
  9. Double click on your Deadline Reverse Proxy server.
  10. Go to “URL Rewrite”
  11. Click “Add Rule(s)”
  12. Pick “Reverse Proxy”
  13. Enter the server address:port of your Deadline RCS server (localhost:8080 in my case). Check Enable SSL Offloading.
  14. Rewrite the domain names of the links in the HTTP responses. From: localhost:8080 to: <deadline.company.com>
  15. Ok out and restart your website. Now when you navigate to deadline.company.com if your RCS server is running you should get a webpage with “Deadline Proxy Server 10.0 [v10.0.3.2 Release (072d054c6)]”.

Now that all being said, I can’t for the life of me actually figure out how to get client certificates to work… Any ideas?

I did some digging and I’m not overly sure. I haven’t used IIS in about 15 years, so we usually recommend running nginx on Windows.

I read this guy, but it’s not clear how to generate self-signed certs since it just points to an MS article saying to buy them:
developers.coveo.com/display/pu … B55685DF51

You could download OpenSSL and build a cert as per our docs here: (uses gnuwin32 build of OpenSSL)
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produ … slgen.html

I tried building a cert using your docs + importing it into IIS but Deadline wouldn’t connect.

Hmmm… Well, your browser should negotiate the TCP session too. Might give some different errors too which might be helpful.

What sort of errors ended up coming up?

403 access denied.

That’s odd… Neither the RCS nor Proxy use credentials (they’ll let anything through). The Web Service does though. I’d expect a different error if the SSL had caused some access problems.

I guess follow up question becomes, is the Web Service running on deadline.example.com?

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences