AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Infrastructure Instance Type

Is it possible to use a smaller instance type for the infrastructure? At the very least for testing a 2XL seems excessive. I can stop it and change the type and resume it but that’s a bit awkward.

No, but I’ll make it a feature request here. If anyone else wants to be updated on that, feel free to post here and I’ll add you to the dev issue (which is my usual protocol).

I think a big issue at the moment is that you may not know when the instance becomes to bottleneck. We’ll have to find a way to make that visible too, so I’ll go ask that of the dev team too.

Any updates here? I just did a monthly estimate and AWS said $500 a month. LOL No. Not paying $500 a month for cloud rendering to be available.

As a benchmark a C4 Large can handle about 50-60 render nodes. So a 2XL should only be necessary (without any performance impacts) with >200 render nodes. Considering I had to petition AWS to even allow me to have 50 spot instances (and even then I still get throttled) and a C5 18XL is a beastly machine I would have a couple buttons like you have on spot fleets that have some rough numbers:

Small: 10-50, Medium: 50-100, Large: 100-200, XL 200-500 render nodes.

If you need more than 500 18XLs… you’re probably wanting more control over the infrastructure anyway and need a more custom solution.

Correction. I’ve got 30 AWS nodes running right now on a T3 Medium and I’m still gaining significant CPU burst credits I bet I could sustain at least 50-60 on a T3 medium (with a burst when new spots fleets startup). That’s only $0.04 an hr/ vs $0.40/hr for the XL default. And with Unlimited mode enabled it will only charge extra when rendering is heavy.

Any more updates on this? Now it looks like the default is c4.4xlarge. Would really like to be able to change this especially during development work.

1 Like

Bumppity Bump. Extra characters… to meet minimum…

Old thread, but I’m curious if there is any new info about this as well. The default infrastructure instance type seems like extreme overkill for most of us. It seems like there should be some way to configure it when you launch the infrastructure.

(@im_thatoneguy - you mentioned you can stop it and change it - How do you do this?)

1 Like
Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences