AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Can we clone (and sync) the DeadlineRepository for redundancy & speed?

Scenario:
Nodes on premise and in other locations, artists on premise and in other locations.

Can I clone the deadline repository to multiple locations, setup a real-time sync (for example syncthing) and use the repository from both locations?

Bump :blush: :sunglasses:

Are you considering cloning the repository, database and project data?

Or are you looking to just clone the repository, have it point back the the local database and project data?

Or have the artists submit the files to the deadline repo, have that synced to the remote repo and have the remote slaves pickup from that job from the remote repo?

If you sync the files from the repo the job may begin before all the project files have sync’d

If you’re just looking to cache the repo files then there is this option
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produ … nu-options
Keep Local Repository Cache
If enabled, a local copy of all repository based scripts will be stored locally on the machine. (If user group permissions allow)

You could also use path mapping to a different location if it’s to use a different project data location

Are you looking at something like the Remote Connection Server?
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produ … n%20server

If you’re after redundancy you could just clone the repo folder and sync it to another machine, but I don’t think you can use it at the same time.

Only the repository and the sync is kind of instant.

I didnt know about the local caching, I will give that a go and see if it improves loading up the submitter.

I was thinking of round robin two file servers with the same repo and a instant file sync inbetween.
Like a cheap network RAID1

We have a cluster server here. Two servers connected to one jbod box in an active-passive setup. It took a while to figure out but it’s pretty simple in the end. What you need is to set up replica sets for your mongodb. The deadline database is installed on both servers locally but the repository sits on the shared box between the two servers. The replica set feature is what keeps the mongodb synced between two servers in realtime and automatically. One thing about replica sets in mongodb is that you need at least 3 servers, 2 to share the database and one to be the arbiter to decide which server should become the primary db.

For offsite use, we had success with a vpn. Basically a remote user joins a vpn and essentially becomes part of the network as in the office. Setup up deadline client on remote user’s machine and point the repository location to the network share. The speed of that would depend on your and user’s internet connection. There is also a guy using drop box to sync his repository between amazon render farm and his machine, this is before all the new features were introduced. vimeo.com/103860753

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences