AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

ASCI error

hey folks,

I hope some of you can assist us in this problem we have. ( i have created a ticket, but we are on CET time, and i would need som speedy help )

We have just upgrade a material team from Deadline 5.2 , using max2014 to, max 2017 and Deadline 10

But now we get error when we submitt job using å ä ö in the filename. se below for error

This worked when we used 5.2 on these guys

Error: UnicodeEncodeError : ‘ascii’ codec can’t encode character u’\xc4’ in position 197: ordinal not in range(128) (Python.Runtime.PythonException)
File “C:\Users\l-icom-u-itseelm\AppData\Local\Thinkbox\Deadline10\slave\comseelm-dw0031\plugins\5a0e800abb9e45191423e4d8\3dsmax.py”, line 305, in RenderTasks
self.MyMaxController.RenderTasks()
File “C:\Users\l-icom-u-itseelm\AppData\Local\Thinkbox\Deadline10\slave\comseelm-dw0031\plugins\5a0e800abb9e45191423e4d8\3dsmax.py”, line 1481, in RenderTasks
self.RenderFrame( frame )
File “C:\Users\l-icom-u-itseelm\AppData\Local\Thinkbox\Deadline10\slave\comseelm-dw0031\plugins\5a0e800abb9e45191423e4d8\3dsmax.py”, line 2327, in RenderFrame
self.SetVraySplitBufferFile( filePath )
File “C:\Users\l-icom-u-itseelm\AppData\Local\Thinkbox\Deadline10\slave\comseelm-dw0031\plugins\5a0e800abb9e45191423e4d8\3dsmax.py”, line 2539, in SetVraySplitBufferFile
file.write( “renderers.current.output_splitfilename = “”+filePath.replace(”\","\\")+""\ntrue" )

at Deadline.Plugins.PluginWrapper.RenderTasks(String taskId, Int32 startFrame, Int32 endFrame, String& outMessage, AbortLevel& abortLevel)

Hi,
Newer versions of 3ds Max changed how character encoding strings are handled (this explains why you did not see it running Max 2014).

From our 3ds Max FAQ section in our online docs:

docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produ … x.html#faq

Try following the instructions in this link:

knowledge.autodesk.com/search-r … 5-htm.html

Hi!

Can you also provide the EXACT version of Deadline 10 you are using to submit with?
We recently enforced Unicode (UTF8, with BOM) when writing the JOB files from the 3ds Max Integrated Submitter (SMTD) which should remove the need to check the global option for enforcing Unicode to non-scene files.
The change was committed on October 17th, and should have shipped to customers about a week later.
If you have installed a Deadline 10 build from the last 3 weeks, then that change should have been part of it, and we will have to look deeper into this to understand why it is still a problem.
But if you are running an older build of Deadline 10 from October, please consider updating to the current build (10.0.7.2).

Hey Bobo,

ty for replying,

We are currently on " Deadline Client Version: 10.0.2.0", due to extreme slow ways of updating software and pathes, ( we use a software management programe, so we cannot just add pathes or update to the rep and push it out) . But we are looking into to that as we speak. We really need to find a way to update.

Other from that we are using 3dsmax 2017, vray 3.60.03

Hey,

We tried that, still the same error. Looking into updating as we speak.

Best
Rickard

In that case don’t rush the update, if that option did not fix the issue, then the problem is likely in the Python code.
I will look into it tomorrow morning (Pacific time), unless Mike gets to it first…

ok, got a fix I think. Just need to spend some time testing it first. If it works, I’ll upload it here.

lovely :slight_smile:

Alrighty, that took longer than I thought. See attached for an updated 3dsmax.py plugin file. After backing up the same named file in your repo, unzip and overwrite the same-named file here in your repo: “<your_deadline_repo>/plugins/3dsmax/3dsmax.py”

3dsmax.zip (36.5 KB)

Can you let us know if that fixes the issue for you?

Thank you, we will try this on monday.

Hey hey!

We havent had the time to test yet, alot of pressure on the farm right now. Will test when it´s a bit calmer in the que :slight_smile:

No problem! Let us know when you can! :slight_smile:

Hey guys,

So, it´s monday :wink: , and we tried the fix today, but it created another error for us, please see below.

=======================================================
Error

Initialize: Error: ERROR: Max startup files were not found in the Deadline Repository!

Screenshoot of the repo included, so that you can see i have added the .py

Any suggestions?

best
Rickard

EDIT: The folder you are showing does not appear to be from the latest Deadline 10 installation.
EDIT2: What Mike said…

well, not it´s to late, i needed to remove the “new” .py file, to be able to render. But here is a screenshoot of the entire folder

This error is indicating that the new way of syncing the “maxStartup” directory, located in the root of your Deadline 10 repository is missing. You should have a directory in the root of your DL repo called: “maxStartup”. If not, I presume you are not running at least 10.0.4.3 version of DL10, when this new feature was added? If so, can you update to the latest point release as of last week? 10.0.8.3.

Nope, we are using Deadline Client Version: 10.0.2.0 ,

hm hm, so an update is needed then if we would like to solve the issue. We will start to look in to it. Thanks for the support !

Hey guys!

So, i did the update to Deadline this morning, and applied the Fix.

Everything now works as intended! Thanks for the support!

Great! Thanks for the feedback.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences