AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Houdini Submitter: Change Install Location

Hi, I just noticed that the Houdini Submitter Installer is modifying the $HFS files on Windows to add the Submit to Deadline render menu.
submitter_hou_menu.png
Working in Houdini, I’ve learned that it is generally not recommended to modify files within the $HFS.

I tried to transfer the setup on to the recommended location, at $HOME\Houdini#.#

1. I moved the MainMenuCommon.xml
    fr: $HFS\houdini
    to: $HOME\houdini#.#
    Then deleted all the code except for this:

<mainMenu> <addScriptItem id="h.deadline"> <parent>render_menu</parent> <label>Submit To Deadline</label> <scriptPath>$HOME/Houdini16.5/scripts/deadline/DeadlineHoudiniClient.py</scriptPath> <scriptArgs></scriptArgs> <insertAfter/> </addScriptItem> </mainMenu>I also updated the scriptPath tag to point to the appropriate $HOME location.

1. To reflect the above changes, I also moved DeadlineHoudiniClient.py
    fr: [b]$HFS\scripts\deadline[/b]
    to: $HOME\houini#.#\scripts\deadline

I’m still on Deadline 8.0.14.1 by the way, using free-mode. Was this changed in newer Deadline versions? I checked the Release Notes and there doesn’t seem to be any mention of it.
If not, I would like to request that the Submitter install files only at the $HOME location (if possible) :smiley:

Hey Galagast,

As of Deadline 10 we are no longer modifying the files in $HFS, we are now using our own location and using the Houdini.env file to point HOUDINI_PATH and HOUDINI_MENU_PATH to our location in addition to the normal location.

Grant

Awesome! That’s cool to know! And that really is much better approach compared to what I suggested. Thank you Grant, I’ll check out v10 soon.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences