AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Deadline 8 max 2018

Hi,

I know deadline 8 does not officially support max 2018, but isn’t it possible to use deadline 8 to render 3ds max 2018 jobs by just changing the path somewhwere? I added it in the plugin setup in the 2017 field I just entered the max 2018 path but it doesn’t seem to work. In the past we could do that. Is it now blocked by design to do such thing or is there something I don’t understand?

No one?

Aniway I had to render with max 2018 so I went with Afanasy (a free open source alternative to deadline) and i’m completely amazed with it.

Hey Strob,

Sorry for the slow response. We haven’t added any sort of restrictions in that regard. In general, customers can still modify our plugins as they see fit (ie. add unsupported versions of software). When asked, we just usually warn customers that it’s at their own risk, as adding newer versions of 3rd party software support can be end up being more involved than just modifying the path of the executable to run.

EDIT: Sorry, :blush: one thing to note about 3dsmax is that there’s actually a compiled portion (3dsMax Lightning dlx) for each version that we need to allow us to use their interface. So if the 2017 interface matches up with the 2018 interface exactly, then it could potentially work, but that’s a long shot.

Is there something preventing you from upgrading to Deadline 10? It’s probably the easiest course of action.

Cheers

Ok,

I tried to put the 2018 path in the 2017 box and it didn’t work.

I couldn’t update to 10 cause I put too much budget in hardware… And now I was lacking budget to update deadline and add licenses for new slaves on top of it. Also I’m trying to save to buy a full seat of Houdini + a few engine licenses too (I currently have the so cheap indie but I will need more power).

It’s not an ideal situation having to pay for vray and deadline licenses for each slaves when adding more slaves and for each max updates for a small guy like me who just want to keep my old slaves while adding more powerful ones, cause I end up with many less powerful computers that cost a lot for licenses while some bigger companies who can afford to just scrap their old computers and have just a few more powerful ones end up having to pay less for licenses for the same power… That’s why I like open source softwares :wink:… And it’s so liberating not having to deal with licensing. Blender and Afanasy they are deployed and also launched so fast.

Sorry I like your company and your products (I own krakatoa, stoke, frost, deadline) but 3ds max is very costly when we add all the needed plugins I have to find ways to cut costs.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences