AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

ValueError: bad marshal data (string size out of range)

Man. I sure have had a lot of problems getting deadline to work.
I’m on windows 7, using maya 2017.

Right now my problem is that when I try to start the deadline monitor it gives me the following error:
ValueError: bad marshal data (string size out of range)

It was just working a day ago and nothing has changed since then (I might have restarted me computer).
Any ideas why this is and how to fix it?
Also the deadline service doesn’t seem to want to start automatically so in order to get any of the deadline software to work I have to manually go into services and start it. Any idea how to fix that?

Thanks!

Hi there,

Which version of Deadline are you currently using? Could you also send a screenshot of the error you’re seeing, and attach the most recent log from the Monitor? You can find the log by right-clicking on the Deadline Launcher in the system tray and selecting Explore Log Folder. Sort by date-time and grab the most recent Monitor log.

Hopefully this will provide enough information to determine what the problem is.

Just to confirm, do you mean the Deadline Launcher service? If so, a Launcher log would be helpful too!

If you are running the Launcher as a service, then it won’t appear in your system tray, so you’ll need to manually navigate to the log folder (just replace [VERSION] with the major Deadline version):

C:\ProgramData\Thinkbox\Deadline[VERSION]\logs

Thanks!
Ryan

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences