AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Usage Based Licensing Confusion

Hi,

I’m looking to get a Nuke Render license from the Thinkbox Marketplace for some testing, but I’m just a bit confused on how the slaves handle the new UBL and how that integrates into our existing Deadline license system.

Once all the details have been entered from the Marketplace account into the monitor, will the slaves on the farm know that they now have a Nuke Render license to use? Or do they have to be setup to specify they are using a UBL instead of the local floating license system.

The doc on this page doesn’t make any mention of setting the slaves to use the UBL (docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produ … based.html), but the second video on this page goes into setting slaves to use the UBL only, so I’m not sure which is the current way of dealing with things.

It also mentions setting up a license forwarder, but the monitor seems to have an option to grab the license from the internet instead. Is that not needed now, as it’s listed as a required step?

For ease of use, I was hoping the slaves would use our permanent license as usual but if a Nuke job starts, they would just ping the web account for a license and continue rendering the Nuke job. I don’t really want to reserve a pool of slaves just for the random times a Nuke job would need rendering.

Thanks for any info on this. I’m probably overthinking it :slight_smile:

Hello!

The section for setting up Nuke would be under the Third Party Usage Based Licensing heading.

docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produ … -licensing

A Forwarder is required for any UBL that is not Deadline, ex. Nuke, Vray. Once you have the Forwarder setup with your certificates you need to create a Nuke limit and assign it to your job, this controls the licenses. Limit represents local licenses which will be used for and Overage represents the number of machines that will use UBL.

Regards,

Charles

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences