AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Houdini Arnold submission kick version

We just notice that unlike the monitor submission script the integrated submitter doesn’t have the option to choose beta/release version of Arnold kick.

Are there any plans on adding it to the integrated submitter?

We’re using DL 10.0.8.4

Hey panze,

We don’t currently have any plans of adding that to the Houdini submitter, but it wouldn’t be too hard to add in. As you’re probably aware, the dependent arnold job defaults to the ‘Release’ executable.

I’m assuming this is something that you’d like to see? Are you actively using both ‘Beta’ and ‘Release’ paths? I suppose they are just an arbitrary differentiation to select different executables.

Cheers

Yes, it’s a handy option to have from time to time. For example we now have two projects that one uses Houdini 16.5 so that needs the latest Arnold to work, but we also have project that uses older version of Arnold and it’s rather delicate, so we don’t want to risk any changes in the look by changing the Arnold version in mid project.

You’re right, it wasn’t too hard to add in. :smiley: I ended up implementing it to our customized submitter and it seems to be working fine.

For anyone interested these are the changes I made.

Added option for the version in the SubmitHoudiniToDeadline.ui

arnoldversion.val = STRING_MENU{"Release" "Beta"}

[code]
{
LAYOUT(horizontal) HSTRETCH SPACING(H_SPACE) JUSTIFY(left,center)

SELECT_MENU_BUTTON "On Job Complete":MENU_WIDTH MENU(arnoldonjobcomplete.val) WIDTH(CONTROL_WIDTH);
                SELECT_MENU_BUTTON "Arnold Version":MENU_WIDTH MENU(arnoldversion.val) WIDTH(CONTROL_WIDTH);
            }[/code]

SubmitHoudiniToDeadline.py

in def InitializeDialog():

dialog.setMenuItems( "arnoldversion.val", ["Release", "Beta"] )

in def SubmitRenderJob(…):

jobProperties = {
        "arnoldversion" : dialog.value( "arnoldversion.val" ),

in SubmitHoudiniToDeadlineFunctions.py --> def SubmitRenderJob(…):

elif exportType == "Arnold":
                        fileHandle.write( "InputFile=" + ifdFile + "\n" );
                        fileHandle.write( "Threads=%s\n" % jobProperties.get( "arnoldthreads", 0 ) )
                        fileHandle.write( "Version=%s\n" % jobProperties.get( "arnoldversion", "Release" ) )

Edit: Edited plugin info Arnold version defaulting to “Release” if not defined as per mepp’s suggestion.

Looks good!

I will caution you on your default value for “arnoldversion” though. You’ve modified the integrated submitter, but you haven’t modified the Deadline ROP node, so if you try to use the Deadline ROP, you’ll be telling arnold to render using “Version=0”.

Easy enough fix if you don’t want to modify the ROP node, just change the default value to “Release” to keep the same functionality.

fileHandle.write( "Version=%s\n" % jobProperties.get( "arnoldversion", "Release" ) )

Cheers

Good catch! Thanks!

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences