AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Cinema4D - tokens creates blank $prj folder

I’m testing out Deadline for my office and ran into a very minor bug. If I submit a C4D job to Deadline that uses tokens in the output path, it will render correctly, but also create a blank folder with the literal token. So if the project is PROJ_v01 and the output path is $prj/$prj, it will render correctly (PROJ_v01/PROJ_v01_[frame range]), but also create a blank folder called $prj. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Hey nhornstein, welcome to the forums!

This behaviour is most likely a side-effect from our path validation code. We essentially call

os.makedirs( outputPath )

to make all the subfolders of the output as a test to ensure that C4D will have the proper file permissions. The reason “$proj” is being created as a folder, is because we’re not running in the context of C4D yet, this is pre-render, so we don’t know what the variable should be. The reason we do the file permission validation is because C4D doesn’t end up writing any output until the render is finished, so we’re preventing wasted rendering time by trying to fail early on permission issues.

I’ll log this is as something we should take a look into improving, since we can probably verify permissions in a better manner.

Cheers

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences