AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Execute command not always working

I want to fill the 3dsmax plugin folders with the necessary plugins using DLs remote “Execute command” on Windows on them with:

copy \servername\maxplugins\MAX2018*.* “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2018\Plugins”

locally the command is working, but not over DLs “Execute command”

the deadlinelauncher-logs show this error:

Launcher Thread - Responded with: Failure: Failed to spawn process “copy” with “\servername\maxplugins\MAX2018*.* “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2018\Plugins”” arguments because: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden (System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception) (System.Exception)

last is german for “system can’t find the file”
I’ve tried setting “” all over the whole line, commande, single commands, everything.
UNC annotations should work without drive letters and C:… is a local drive
taskkill works flawlessly

what to do?
in what context (user) does deadlinelauncher run? It’s a right problem?

The remote commands are sent to the launcher and they would be run by the user the launcher is running as. Is the Launcher running as a service on the target machine? If so, make sure that user has access to the UNC path you are specifying. Be aware that a logged in user has a different environment than a user running a service, just because the logged in user has access does not mean the user running the service does. Setting up Windows Credentials under the user running the service usually helps here.

The launcher is running as a normal process not as a service (partially because of the very reasons you mentioned). I also used normal windows paths:

copy T:\maxplugins\MAX2018*.* “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2018\Plugins”

because UNC paths sometimes does not work in commands, but also to no avail.
The Windows user is administrator on the local machine.

!!! Putting everything into a .BAT and runs it per remote execute works sometimes.

Will look into it, from here it seams to be a rights or windows credentials problem.

The ‘execute command’ tries to parse the first entry and execute the process you’re mentioning. I think the problem here might be that “copy” is not a program on the file system and we’re not behaving like a shell. For example:

Just throw “cmd /c” or better yet (because UNC paths), “PowerShell -Command” in front of what you’re trying to execute and throw some single quotes around it.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences