AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Resuming dependent jobs ignore dependencies

Hej,

We are using a custom scrips for submitting a large amount of jobs for render, they are submitted with dependencies.

If I was to suspend jobs in que for some reason, and then select the job, and take resume. the dependencies are lost, and the job fails due to Nuke cannot find the ext file that the 3dsmax render would have been outputed.

Any thoughts around this?

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding something, but you shouldn’t need to suspend jobs whose dependencies are suspended, since they won’t be released to render until the dependencies have resolved.

If you do suspend the dependent jobs, instead of choosing 'Resume", you should select “Mark Job As Pending” and you’ll get their original behaviour of needing to pass a pending job scan.

Cheers

Hey!

Thanks for helping out, no, i don´t need to suspend them. But i would like to have the option to do so :slight_smile:

I will test the “Mark Job as Pending” solution, Should i select the batch, or the induvidual jobs?

You can do it on the whole batch. They should automatically requeue if their dependencies are met. I also wrote up a quick thought for the dev team internally here for future users:

I’d like to see a dialog come up when users resume a job with unfinished dependencies that asks “This job has unfinished dependent jobs, would you like to pend it instead?” and choosing “Yes” would pend, “No” would resume.

I think there may be a more creative way to inform users the result of their actions, such as renaming “resume” to “force queue now” or something clever when a job has known dependencies.

What do you think?

Hey

Yes, the

“I’d like to see a dialog come up when users resume a job with unfinished dependencies that asks “This job has unfinished dependent jobs, would you like to pend it instead?” and choosing “Yes” would pend, “No” would resume.”

would be a nice way m but would that not just fail the job if I would to choose no? The same scenario that we have? If i choose NO in you example, the jobs would go to the que, and all jobs depended on the .max render would fail?

+1

This is on my list of scripts to write, but if you beat me to it , that would be grand.

Yup, they’d fail. There isn’t a perfect scenario here, so we’d trust that you knew what you were doing. We could add a little extra blurb like “Choosing ‘No’ will ignore any existing dependencies”.

Thanks for the help!

btw… never trust that i know what i am doing :wink:

Welcome! Personally, I just pretend and play the odds. :smiley:

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences