AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Sending one notification email for a group of jobs

I have been using Deadline to distribute tedious activities like archiving and watermarking movies. When these complete, I want the user to receive a notification email. This is not hard to set up. However, the way I have distributed the activities produces a lot of jobs. For example, for archiving, the user passes a list of assets to a script to be archived. Each asset in the list becomes a job. If the list is really long, then the user will end up receiving a lot of emails! Ideally, the user would receive just one email notifying him or her when the archive is complete. The email should have a list of archived assets as well.

Any good way to deal with this? Ideally, the activity is submitted as a job and each line item becomes a task. However, I do not see anything in the docs under manual submission that helps with that. You can batch a series of jobs together for organizational purposes. Could I somehow leverage that? Maybe I could write a plugin that tracks all of the jobs in the batch? When a batch is complete, send out an email, write a log, etc.

Any help is appreciated!

At the moment, the easy way to send any sort of e-mail would be to throw a dependent job in the mix that essentially does nothing, but has a list of users to be notified in it. When the jobs are done, the notification will be sent off.

The problem here is that the contents of that e-mail aren’t customizable.

We’ve thought about moving the e-mail and other notifications out to an event script since 6.0 when we removed Growl and a few other notification backends. At the moment, I think if you want a customized e-mail, having an OnJobFinished event and writing your own e-mails is the way to go. If your mail server requires passwords though, it’ll be tricky to keep them secure.

Also of note, smtplib changed in 2.7.12 due to SSL/TLS changes in Python, so if you’re using it in an event you’ll need to make sure it’ll support our Python version (2.7.11). I’ve been working with a user on that in the ticket system at the moment…

Good to know.

Yeah, I think an event plugin is the way to go here. I’m planning to use Event Opt In to target the plugin to a particular group of jobs.

Thanks!

Sounds like the best course of action to me! Feel free to update us on how you make out. Customized notification isn’t that an uncommon an ask.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences