AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Machine startup is not work on 10.0.10.4

Actually, I bet it has something to do with the limit change we made in 10.0 SP9:

Now, Pulse does not share the dequeuing logic with the Slave so it is very likely they have diverged. I will look into this!

The information from the logs and the fact that the Slave begins have been a huge help here. Thanks to both of you!

Update over here. The dev team tells me those changes were cosmetic which is good.

Currently I’m going to experiment with purposely putting whitespace into my limits at submission and see if that will break. If others can enable verbose logging and send it my way, that would be helpful as well. To enable it:

Also, screenshots of the configurations of the limits which are failing would be very helpful here as well.

Update valid of it’s own post!:

Great work Makoto on noticing that this only affected 3DS Max. It seems that if the LimitGroup property of the job info file ends with a space, it will prevent Pulse from starting the Slave with the exact error. I am able to reproduce this exactly.

I will try to find out what changed in the SMTD so you can begin working now, and we can fix it properly in core after that.

Edwin,

Thank you very much.
I hope this problem will be fixed soon.
And also the other frustrated problems with DL10…

thanks!

For this problem specifically, we are trying to make the change in the SMTD first, then adjusting changes in the core code from there. I’m actively working with the development team on this.

For the remaining issues outside of this thread, we are working through them as well. Thanks for raising them!

I think we have a fix here, so I’ll need some testing. It’s easier than I’d expected to work around.

It seems that any non-existing limit group (spaces or not) that is added to a job will cause machine wake-up ignore that job.

Now, the SMTD has a new feature that automatically adds some limits. My guess is that the workaround is to uncheck all of these in the “limits” rollout:

Can you guys try that out and report back?

Hi Edwin,

I tried submitting a new job with all the limit checkboxes turned off but it still didn’t work. I did notice though that when I went into the Job Properties max was still listed in the Required Limits. I tried a few different combos of check boxes, all off, all on and some in between and max was always listed under Required Limits.

When I moved it to the left column under Limits List (which makes it disappear btw) it worked! The machines all started up as usual.

To be honest, I’m not sure what these limits do. Is there a way to submit a job without having max listed under the Required Limits or is that a bug in SMTD?

We have the same problem at out side, created a own tread. But am following this one with intressets to.

+1

Hey guys,

I’ve got a quick fix on the integration-side until the changes make their way into core.

Make backups and copy the two included files into DeadlineRepository10/submission/3dsmax/Main
This will turn all of those auto-limits off by default, and fix a few issues with setting them (ie. the ‘max’ limit not turning off). Due to sticky settings, the options might be enabled the next time you open the dialog, but any new user, or subsequent dialog will have them off. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers
3dsmax_main.zip (188 KB)

We had this issue, I just added max and vray limits with unlimited resources. Stumped me for a while as I couldn’t work out why it was suddenly applying a limit!

Nick

Well, that’s another creative solution. How did the patch work for others? I’m going to do my rounds to see how the core team is making out here.

I don’t check with normal rendering yet, but x-mesh saver submit does not start PC.

-Makoto

Is it the same issue here Makoto? I’m just curious if we missed an auto-limit here. Also, without testing the normal job it could very well be that the existing limits are causing you trouble.

We’ll still be fixing this in core, but the script adjustment Morgan provided should get you working so a base test would be very much appreciated.

Edwin,

I think it is yes.
X-mesh saver deadline submit also does not startup PC. I already reported this thing on this thread.

thanks

-Makoto

Hey Makoto,

Can post a job info file or double check what limits are on that job and if they’re correct (ie. The limits exist in your repository)?

My mitigation fix won’t turn off auto-limits if they’re saved as sticky settings, it just changes their default behaviour, so you’ll still need to turn off those options in the submitter if these limits don’t exist for you.

3dsmax_auto_limits.png
My fix also can’t remove limits from existing jobs. To make them work though, you can modify the job properties to remove the limits that don’t exist, or you can make dummy limits.

Cheers

Sorry I asked again Makoto. I was hoping that you could give some more details based on what we have learned from this problem. As Morgan asked, your job info file or a screenshot of your job’s “Limits” section in the Monitor would be very much appreciated here so we can understand what is happening.

Hey guys,

I haven’t had much time to look at this lately but I did get around to trying Morgan’s fix and it seems to work for me.

Cheers!

Hello guys,

We had the same Problem with our Renderfarm.

After the Update from DL9 to 10 the Maschine Autostart by Submission from 3dsMax doesen´t work anymore but Autostart with Fusion and other Software works fine.

The scripts from Morgan solved the Problem and all Maschines autostart by Submitting from 3Dsmax.

Thanks Morgan for solving the problem

Thanks for confirming everyone!

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences