AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

job candidate filter performance

We have just updated from deadline 8 to deadline 10 , and while the job candidate filter has never been super speedy, it seems to have gotten an order of magnitude slower in deadline 10.
Enabling it with a single job selected takes a solid 2-3 minutes before the GUI becomes responsive again.

That’s quite odd. We’re going to be deprecating it soon in favour of the new job right-click script.

2018-02-20 10_48_10-Deadline Monitor.png

Is there still a need for the old candidate filter scan? I think we added an option to globally disable it, but I’ll have to check in on that.

Its my “go to” tool when i get an artist complaint about “why isnt my job rendering”. While it was always slow, its almost unusable at the moment (ended up having to kill the deadline monitor from which i made the report on this issue).

I like the right click option btw, thanks for pointing it out! It ensures that you dont accidentally leave the filter enabled (as its its own window). The ‘message’ explanation is awesome!

I thnk the new feature is buggy, it seems to show most slaves as “unable to render”, even when they are…

For example, lapro0570-secondary is happily rendering the job, but is listed as “unable”:

Well, that’s no good! Let me try and break mine over here… The code should be easy to follow.

Just so you know, we implemented this for you so you woudn’t need the candidate filter (and for me so the darn filter says why the machine can’t render it).

Update: It seems like the logic for whitelists and blacklists are inverted. If you choose to blacklist the machines, the candidate filter thinks everything is fine. Reading the code was a bit of a trick, so I’m going to leave that to the dev team.

If anyone has feedback on other things they’ll like to see in this tool, I’m open to suggestions. It should help us out in support, but I think render wranglers might have some interesting thoughts as well.

Would be great if the listing had some filter options maybe (like the regular slave panel, so we can pick machines queued only etc), and the ability to display the slave prop panels (like pools, groups, etc)

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences