AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Media encoder submission

Is there any sort of submission script for adobe media encoder like there is for after effects?

It seems I can only submit to AME from a specific path with a preset file. Is there no way to submit what’s in my adobe media encoder queue?

Ideally I’d like to submit a particular composition within an after effects project and I can’t seem to figure out how to do that from the monitor submission.

If I recall correctly, you need to disable everything but one element in the AE render queue, save the project, then submit via the Monitor to AME.

If you’re within AE, what’s the benefit of using Media Encoder? I’m not 100% what the differences are, but if it’s significant we should at least log it as a wishlist item and folks can weigh in on it.

I think for AME there wasn’t much demand for a built-in submitter, but I’m also not sure what sort of UI tools they provide is. Applications like Fusion 9 for example dropped the UI scripting components so we can only support a Monitor submitter for example.

The reason for media encoder in accordance with after effects, is that after effects no longer supports h264 (and probably never will support h265). Adobe recommends exporting from after effects through AME if you need h264 compression which is a big requirement for me.

The UI of AME isn’t very complex but it has lots of format presets and lets you tweak many parameters. For one project I need to export h264 .mp4 files that are a maximum of 300mb regardless of length. That mean’s I have to adjust the bitrate for 2 pass encoding on each file (which I’d do in the AME UI) and can not use a predefined preset.

Hmm. Yeah, I can see how they would be a reasonable need to support that workflow. Draft is able to generate H.264 content from the stills generated by AE, but exporting the audio to mux it back in might be overhead that isn’t worth it.

AME is a little difficult as we’re using an API that isn’t well supported, but technically works. Would it be more worthwhile to have a submitter within AE or within AME? I can’t promise anything here, I’m just gathering requirements before I go and ask.

I understand.

I would think a submitter would have to come from AME as AE does not have many of the file formats supported by AME built in. When you export from AE it’s not like you set your file format and parameters first and then select AME to render. h264 in mp4 wrapper for example, is simply not listed in the after effects render dialogue. AE sends (I assume) a temp file of your composition to AME where you then pick your format, wrapper, etc in the AME interface.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences