AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Select Slave with highest Ghz, that is available

Hello there,
we´re using Deadline 10 with a bunch of software (Cinema 4D R17-R19, After Effects, 3dsmax, etc.) and around 15 slaves, with a different viraty of Cores (8-32 CPU) and GHz (2-4 GHz ).
For some Software we have enough licences to run all slaves, but for other software we only have 8 or less licences.

Now we were thinking, that if we have script that is looking for the highest Ghz CPU that is available and automaticly select the amount of slaves that we have licences for, we could improve the rendertime, and save a lot of idle time.

Is there an option in deadline / monitor we were missing, or does anyone knows a script that can handle it?

Thanks,
Felix

I can only share my own experience, as a very novice deadline user: I’ve categorized my slaves into pools or groups (fast, slow, etc) and then assign based on job. I’m not sure if there is a dynamic way to do this, but this may help.

this post may help a bit:

deadline.thinkboxsoftware.com/d … nd-limits/

yeah… we´re already working with pools or groups.
For exaple:
If we set a pool with 8 Slaves for Cinema 4D R18 (because only 8 licences), and have another non-Cinema job with maybe 5 slaves running, then the Cinema-Job maybe will only render with a bunch of slaves, while some are idle.

We do not have a feature to do this at the time, but I’ll pass this along to the devs for consideration.

Cool, that would be great! Thank you.

I’m assuming this a re-wording of the age-old question of “Can I have the faster machines pick up first”. If that’s the case, there’s no easy way to do that given the decentralized nature of Deadline. The unexpected workaround is to use idle machine shutdown and specify the machine order.

If it’s just a licensing situation, limits are your friend here. You would make sure artists (or a script) select the right limits for the work and blacklist the machines you don’t want to have pick up for those job types.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences