AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Newbie: Repository installment on a Qnap NAS

Hi,
we are planning to make use of Deadline instead of Backburner. I know how to install Deadline on clients.
I would like to install the Repository and the MongoDB database on my Qnap Nas (yes fast enough and 10GB network).
Is there anyone out there who did this already? And If so, how?
Or is it better to install the repository on a windows PC and have s storage folder on the Nas?

Looking forward to your advice

johan

As far as I know QNAP machines tend to have their own proprietary Operating Systems. If you could make the QNAP run full Windows or Linux as its operating system then you could probably do it (though that would destroy any warranty on the unit).

I’d say just install deadline to the physical Windows box and use the NAS as your file repository for all your production files. Easier and to the point. The MongoDB really wants lots of RAM in addition to lots of HD speed - docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produ … ht=mongodb

rhagen hit it exactly. I’d put the DB on something with lots of free RAM and maybe ~15GB of guaranteed free disk space for plenty of head room. The DB is pretty write-heavy, but if you’re running on under 200 machines any SSD should be more than enough.

The Repository should be moved after the installation over to the QNAP. You can also specify the path during the installation, but Windows tends to get grumpy with UAC permissions to remote shares so I prefer just doing the move after the fact.

Thanks for the advice guys!
In the meanwhile I tried to install a mongo db via a container on the Nas. But it is not possible to install a version of mongo between 3.2.12 and 3.2.18.

What about the following option:
I create a virtual machine (Linux) on the Nas and install the Linux repository files there. Would that work? If not I will follow eamsler’s advice.
edit: The NAS (i7 64 bit 32GB RAM 10Gb network) is more powerful then the windows PC (intel celeron, 8GB RAM 1GB network)

If it can run Docker, the 3.2.19 container should be fine:

docs.docker.com/samples/library/mongo/

It looks like it’s hard coded to expose 27017, so you’d have to be sure to set that in the Repository installer.

I can’t say this is a good idea, and I’m somewhat worried about the performance fight with Mongo vs Filesystem cache, but you can make your own decisions. :smiley:

Thanks eamsler.
I will start with your first advice.
One question:
“The Repository should be moved after the installation over to the QNAP”
After moving the whole directory the the Qnap, do I have to change settings in MONGO?

Nope, they’re pretty separate from each other. In fact, the only thing that ties them together at all is the “connection.ini” file in the “settings” folder of the Repository. That’s what tells the client apps how to talk to the database.

Thanks

We now use MongoDB version 3.4 on a Qnap Nas with Deadline 10.x (for C4D) - that works fine.
We now want to upgrade to the latest Deadline version and S22. So I checked with the options in the ContainerStation of the Qnap for installing the MongoDB. There is “MongoDB IOT - Version 3.2” and “MongoDB Docker - Version 4.1.4” available.
So no version 3.2.18 or 3.2.19 from the given options.
Unfortunately, I have no idea, what the difference between the IoT (3.2) and the Docker (4.1.4) version is.
Can we go with one of that versions?
Thanks for a feedback!

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences