AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Vray Standalone - Ubuntu - Copy assets locally

Hello!

I’m wondering if this is currently possible?

In order to reduce network and server loads, I’d like to be able to copy all assets referenced in the *.vrscene file to the local hard drive of the rendernode in windows as well as on linux prior to rendering before path remapping happens.

Currently when a rendernode picks up a vray standalone job, it’s reading the .vrscene file and ALL other files that are referenced in the .vrscene file directly from the server or rather the place they are referenced to. Since .vrscene is an ASCII file format, it would be awesome if deadline could go ahead and copy all assets that are referenced to the local hard drive and then do the path remapping towards that local drive until the entire job finished rendering and then delete those assets in order to free up that memory again.

I’ve seen more and more people moving towards Standalone rendering with vray.
IMHO that would be an amazing feature everyone could benefit from in a big way.

Are you already working on this feature for the next release? Because if yes, I’m gonna wait! :smiley:
If no, I’m gonna implement it myself but I’m currently super busy and would rather not spend time on this. :smiley:

Kind regards
-Robert

Oh man, the headaches the vrscene parsing code caused! (deliniator here knows pretty well).

If you’re up tot trying to write something, but all means go for it. I’d start from the V-Ray utility functions in “C:\DeadlineRepository10\submission\VRay\Main”. If you find any weird edge cases let us know so we can make it even more robust. :smiley:

I agree that more people are getting into it so it’s worthwhile, but realize the external referencing of vrscene files makes it especially tricky. For example remapping scenes within scenes within scenes, but if you’re up for the challenge it would be great to have an expert in the community!

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences