AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Machine Limit not working

It appears when we set the machine limit to 40 or even to 10 through a deadline event, it doesn’t appear to actually affect the job on deadline. We have numerous accounts when submitting jobs from Houdini with a machine limit of 40 it still only uses 1. However if we look at the job in deadline it will show 40 as the limit.

Is this a none Houdini bug. We are currently running the latest version of deadline 9

Hey Joker,

Can you perhaps clarify some settings on the job? Do you have any Pools or Groups set? How about a machine whitelist/blacklist? Limits? All these could definitely interfere with Slaves picking up the job.

Cheers

Yeah ill double check what factors are in play and let you know. Just knowing this information surely helps.

How are you setting the machine limit with the event? You should be using…

SetMachineLimitMaximum(jobid, limit)

https://docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/products/deadline/10.0/2_Scripting%20Reference/class_deadline_1_1_scripting_1_1_repository_utils.html#a0ecc1fba2817a0e730130ebb18883958

Make sure for SetMachineLimitMaximum() to not use SaveJob().

Regards,

Charles

Hey Charles! Thanks for posting this, I just found it was the solution to a problem for me where SetMachineLimitMaximum() wasn’t working.

This was causing me trouble, because I had a SaveJob() call for the purpose of updating a different setting, but it turns out it was interfering with the machine limit. If you don’t mind, could you explain the “under the hood” reason that this happens? It’d be useful to understand in future what function might be disrupted by the procedure.

Should I call save job before I do the setMaxLimit since I’m changing other settings for the job that require saving.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences