AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

3ds Max 2018 Arnold submit failing

Hello again!
I’m back to bother and inquire with more questions!

So as the title suggests, I’m trying to run a render with 3ds max 2018 and the Arnold versions that comes with it. Yesterday I did a test with a little lower render settings and it worked like a charm after I just enabled the “force workstation” option in the submitter to not have the watermarks appear. However now that I have cranked up the settings to more production render level it just crashes. I started a render yesterday and it managed to finish 24 out of 240 frames before a network crash stopped that process. I have tried for a few hours to just re-submit the job now and start rendering from frame 24 but now it will manage to finish a frame before it stops if I am lucky. All the other frames start work and gets underway, but they never finish because the task/job just dies.

I have tried to read into the deadline reports but its still just jargin and mumbo jumbo to me. I don’t really understand what’s going on so some translation help would be greatly appreciated or if someone just knows what the issue is I’d love to hear from you too :smiley:

I’ve added the archive of the file as an attachment here since some of the errors seems to have different information in them and as I mentioned, I don’t know up from down in this so I’d rather like to just add everything instead of missing something.

Thank you so much for your time reading this post! Sorry I just come back with more questions and never answers.

Hey Underscore(_),

I’ve taken a look at the job and I have a sneaking suspicion that you’re running out of workstation licenses to use due to the repeated error in the task logs:

Error: 3dsmax startup: Error getting connection from 3dsmax: Monitored managed process "3dsmaxProcess" has exited or been terminated.
2018/04/04 11:06:43 ERR: [11952] [07316] License Error
2018/04/04 11:06:43 ERR: [11952] [07316] License Error
   ved Deadline.Plugins.PluginWrapper.StartJob(String& outMessage, AbortLevel& abortLevel)

The other possibility is that certain machines are having a hard time or failing to acquire licenses. In this case the Slaves, ftvs-204-18 and ftvs-204-06, are failing all the tasks with 0 progress associated with them.

So because of these Slaves failing to grab licenses and failing the tasks repeatedly, you’re reaching the job fail limit (I believe the default is 100), which fails the entire job. In this case, your Slaves that were rendering successfully have their Tasks failed since the Job failed since we believe the job is mis-configured (which is also why I believe the tasks with progress don’t have any reports associated with them, but that’s a different issue).

Due to this suspicion, mind answering a few questions/trying out a few things?

• Which Deadline version are you running? (ie. 10.0.13.6)
  • How many workstation licenses do you have available? Do you have your limits account for those workstation licenses?
  • Can the two Slaves generating all the errors get licenses properly?

That should be a good first step into figuring out what’s wrong.

Cheers

Hey mepp, thanks for the reply!

I’ll be more than happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability!

• We are running deadline version 10.0.11.1. Probably not on the latest and greatest version and alittle out of date there.

• For the licenses I dont think it is a license problem in that regard. We are an educational facility and I am a tech here just in charge of keeping everything as up to date as I can while juggling other tasks. So all the machines are running edu versions of 3ds Max. As per autodesks documentation we have about 1000 “licenses” on the serial we have and we have 30+ machines here. If the license question was towards Arnold I was under the impression that the Arnold license sorta came with 3ds Max 2018 kinda like it used to with Maya.

• As for the two machines that you mentioned, 204-18 and 204-06 I have done a quick test amd indeed removing them has fixed the issue! Ill have to have a look as to why they are erroring out.

Thanks you so much for your reply and help!

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences