AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

User based "Local Slave Controls"

Hey!
Is it possible to setup specific “Local Slave Controls” settings based on the logged-in user?

I’ve set up the slave to start as a service. I also setup a Logon-Script to stop the and start the launcher under the logged-on user/artist. When the user logs off, the launcher will quit and the service will restart. So far so good. But if the artist adjusts the “Local Slave Controls” to his needs, then those settings also apply to the service user - for which they no longer have to be apply. Therefore, my question: is it possible to setup user-specific settings for the “Local Slave Controls”?

Cheers,
Simon

One way we get around this.
is to use the OnSlaveStarted event call back.
we then get the slave info via:

RepositoryUtils.GetSlaveInfo(slave_name, True)

we then get the slaves username:

slaveInfo.MachineUserName

if the machineusername is not our main render user we edit the pools on the slave to be only ones we know the currrent ad user can access.

you could look to see if the machine user is your normal farm user, if so , reset all the slave settings.

hope this helps.

Cheers
Kym

Thanks for your suggestion!

I’m really new to Deadline really overwhelmed by all the possibilities. I`ll try to follow your hints and write a custom Event-Plugin. But can you still help me with a few answers?

Why are you adjusting the pools? Is it some kind of “internal access control” to the pools or is there a reason to control/reset the slave settings?

Cheers,
Simon

Some people use pools to gate when machines will start rendering.

If you have some time to read this week, there’s a really good overview of the different options that affect queuing here:
deadline.thinkboxsoftware.com/d … nd-limits/

The Slaves only have configuration based on the Slaves normally. Do you know what the artists need changed when they’re working? Is it CPU/GPU affinity?

Thanks for the article. I had already read the documentation on pools but now I understand the use of queuing-tools in Deadline much better.

Yes, the artists primarily adjust the CPU/GPU affinity and forget to reset the setting when they no longer need the performance or leave the office. Classic human behavior… :slight_smile:

Hey,
I’ve written my first deadline-event-script and it’s working so far :sunglasses:

The script is setting up the CPU and GPU affinity to false/true based on the user - but now I am also want to enable/disable the “Override Idle Detection Settings”. I have already searched the documentation but couldn’t find it…

docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produ … tings.html

Can somebody tell me the right property to enable/disable the Idle Detection, please?

Well, that’s not on a per-job basis, and it’s not really controllable via the API.

I think your best bet may be to enable/disable the Slave itself through its SlaveSettings:
docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produ … 011d06811f

Here’s an example of how you cant get / set the SlaveSettings object:
github.com/ThinkboxSoftware/Dea … utoconf.py

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences