AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

AWS Spot Max Instance Count Exceeded - After only 2?

Hi all,

I’m close (I think!) to getting cloud rendering all set up on AWS…I can now launch an infrastructure without errors and start a spot fleet…

But when I start a spot fleet trying to spin up 20 computers with a max price of $2 (when the going rate is well below that), it starts up 2 instances pretty quickly, but then after a few minutes, the capacity stays 2 of 20 and the status says error. Viewing spot fleet information, it has a ton of errors, most of which say “Spot Max Instance Count Exceeded” at the end of them, and it blacklists me from creating any more for a specified time period. After this time period, it never happens.

Why am I stuck at 2 instances?

Any help appreciated.

There’s a certain limit applied to your account for Spot and by default it’s 20 units. There’s some specific math for the unit to compute core ratio that I’m not overly familiar with. Here’s the AWS docs that go over that and how to ask for more:

docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/late … imits.html

Right…I knew about the 20 thing, so I was expecting to get 20 and requested 20. But I can only get 2.
I wasn’t aware of the “unit to compute core ratio” thing, but I wasn’t asking for anything crazy…just the “medium” presets. 16 core, etc. I’ll look at the docs and see if it illuminates anything for me. Thanks for the response. This AWS situation is slower going than I was expecting (and I was expecting slow). Each hurdle I reach seems to cost me days. Hopefully I’ll get there.

Please can you tell us the exact instance types you were trying to startup and how many of each instance type. The Spot limit of 20 can be lower depending on the instance type you are requesting. Please can you provide your AWS account ID via a private support ticket to Thinkbox and we can review your account.

The instances I have created are m5.4xlarge.

The instance types requested are c4.4xlarge, c5.4xlarge, d2.4xlarge, i3.4xlarge, m4.4xlarge, m5.4xlarge, r4.4xlarge. --Essentially the “medium” 16 core presets.

Will submit a support ticket with AWS account.

Thank you guys for your help. I don’t know how you can run support for stuff this complex. I get frustrated with my dad when he can’t reset his wireless router. :laughing:

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences