AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Submitting multiple tile renders in 1 SMTD script?

Hi all,

I have a system in place that runs an SMTD script to switch the render to use Jigsaw in animation mode (which divides up the render into 81 tiles) and this seems to work ok, but it always seems a bit buggy, and I get a million emails if even one of the tasks fails!

I was thinking of having a simpler method that takes our existing tile render submission script, but is able to send multiple jobs depending on the animation frame range in 3dsmax? (without the user having to move to the next frame and submit)

Eg,
Run SMTD script ->check anim range (e.g, 0-1)-> Check all options specified in the script-> submit frame 00-> move to frame 01 ->submit frame 01 ->finish.

Any ideas on how I could implement such a thing?

Thanks.

-Jaime

So if you have 100 frames of animation, you want to submit 100 jobs?
Since the only difference between the jobs will be the frame, you should probably

• Call the functions to save the MAX scene to a network path and create the JOB files, but skip the actual deadlineCommand call to submit the job.
  • Create 100 versions of the JOB file by reading the originally created file and outputting new files with modified job title to add the frame, plus a Batch entry to keep all jobs under the same batch in the Monitor.
  • Create a control text file with command line for multi-job submission using the same MAX scene, but the different JOB file for each frame job
  • Call deadlineCommand once with this control file to submit all 100 jobs in one call.

Note that since the MAX scene was saved to a network path, the jobs will be referencing it via a SceneFile= entry in their metadata, so the scene file will not even be copied to the repository, making the submission much much faster…

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences