AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Idle detetion

Hey folks,

Do anyone know if there is a way to use Idledetection, or simulair to start a service on a machine?

Today we are using vray spawner service for DR. And i would like to be able to use the power of unused / idling 3D artist WS also.

and, only as DR, starting the slave and letting it start to work on one task is not an option right now.

Cheers
Rickard

Not with Deadline unfortunately. The Slave is the only way we support reliably starting any application.

Running as a service is also tricky because it’s not secure to allow other users (even services) to detect mouse / keyboard. The best you can do on Windows is checking if the machine is idle, and that unfortunately includes CPU cycles meaning your render will make the machine no longer idle. Here’s the KB article for that:
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window … conditions

Any other suggestions from the community?

Hej,

OK, thanks for the reply, we use a homebuild app today that checks if the machine is idle, and after a fixed time start the vrayspawner service on the machine. works rather well, but i wanted to use some sort of “standard” if possible.

Yeah, following the agreed upon process is best, but I think you’re use case is just enough that you can justify that tool.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences