AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Unchecked safe box = lost render time

Hello there,

I ran into a mistake / unfortunately correct behavior today.

We’re using Deadline to render Cinema 4D with VRay.

Today, i checked the output path of a finished job, to find no results, even though the tasks were all rendered in a similar amount of time as other jobs. I then checked the final Cinema 4D file to find the save box unchecked…

Basically, I understand what happened. The machines rendered the jobs, and then - as told by the scene file - did not save them anywhere. While the feature is obviously useful while setting everything up, it has absolutely no use when rendering the final image on the farm…

My suggestion would be to somehow override these settings in the scenefile, once there are output paths set up in the job properties… This just threw me back about half a day.

I know its a user error, but maybe you could put in an errorsafe feature …?

Same thing happened with my multipasses in another shot, unchecked the save multipass file while test rendering and forgot to turn it back on for the final rendering… only set up the output paths in the job properties…

Thank you in advance and have a good one!

Cheers from Hamburg,
Julian

Hmm. We might be able to fail-fast at render time. Would that be good?

It’s something I’d like to see from a few other plugins as well, but I’m not sure what angles we’d need to cover here on a per-plugin basis. Checking if the output folder exists should be easy… Would the output director be blank in your case?

We could also just have a sanity check for the save box being checked / unchecked.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences