AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

AWS Instances not joining as slaves

Hi,

I’m struggling to get the cloud instances to show up as slaves in Deadline.

So far I have:

Followed the video tutorials (An Introduction to Deadline10 AWS Portal Setup/Ready to Render)
Created a new machine master instance as per docs.thinkboxsoftware.com/produ … m-ami.html
AWS user and policies created
AWSPortal Link and Asset server are configured.
UBL server was already in place, but added in Deadline and 3dsmax licenses just in case.
Infrastructure configured and connects to asset server (AWS Portal link and AWS Asset server show in green at the bottom of Deadline)

Infrastructure can be created, and spot fleet can be launched.
In the AWS dashboard I can see all the instances running, as well as a gateway.

Spot fleets show up as fulfilled and running in Deadline

[attachment=0]Capture3.JPG[/attachment]

I have given the new cloud slaves enough time to appear in the slaves list, but they don’t seem to want to show up.

If I take a screenshot of the instance via the AWS control panel, they are sitting at the login screen - so they are all online.

Randomly I will get one cloud slave to appear in the list, but it just offlines itself immediatley (and you can’t send it any deadline commands)

Deleted everything on AWS and gone through the setup again, but still the same outcome. Even using the preconfigured AMI’s on launching a new infrastructure won’t connect up as new slaves.

Any ideas on what to do next? I thought it might be an AWS security group or firewall thing, but everything looks correct.

Thanks for any pointers.

Need to do a bit more testing, but it looks like ‘Use Dynamic Licensing Mode’ needed enabling in the repo…

Had a slave checkout the UBL Deadline stub and try to render a frame, but just failed on the license somewhere along the line.

They should show up in the Slave list whether they have licenses or not. Usually if they are not showing up, check the “License Forwarder” panel to see if it is sending regular updates in the “Last Status Update” column.

If it’s not, then it’s likely an issue with the AWSPortalLink service. You can find logs under “C:\ProgramData\Thinkbox\AWSPortalLink” on Windows.

I’ve seen problems in the past with the SSH keys, but I think the log would be worth checking out. It may be quite large, so feel free to stop the service and remove the awsportallink_GetTunnelParams and restart the service.

Hi Edwin,

I moved the RCS and asset server to another pc and it looks like everything is working now (managed to send a 3dsmax vray job and it rendered!)

Looks like i’ll need to adjust the way our deadline scripts submit jobs (I got lots of errors when it couldn’t find 3dscmd, so not sure if it actually comes with the command line version of max that was part of the Thinkbox AMI I based my image on)

I’m glad you got Slaves picking up work!

The version of Max is a special flavour of Max called MaxIO which takes a license and doesn’t have a UI. Check the base plugin’s paths and use those and you should be all good.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences