AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

My slaves won't work together!

I’m running deadline with 3 computers.

A repository, and 2 slaves.

However, Only 1 slave will render at a given time on any job. Never will the slaves work together on a single job. If i assign two seperate jobs, then they will both render at the same time, but it still is not time efficient.I’ve searched the forums, but they’re not organized in any particular manner and makes self help extremely difficult for finding the answer to a question.

How can I get my slaves to cooperate and work in unison on a single job?

I am using Maya and Maxwell.

Thank you for your help.

I assume you have set up both slaves to be in the same pool (let’s say it is called Maya).

Is the Machine Limit set to 0 ?

If it is set to 1 for whatever reason, no more than 1 machine will render a job no matter what.

Is the Task Size set to 1?

If it is set to the number of frames, only one machine will render because machines are assigned to tasks, not to frames. If all frames are in one task, the second slave would not be able to pick anything.

When you select a job with 100 frames in the Monitor, do you see 100 tasks in the Tasks list?

If everything mentioned above is set up correctly, we will have to discuss what else could be wrong with your setup. In general, you should be able to render on both machines without any special magic.

Regards,

Borislav “Bobo” Petrov

Technical Director 3D VFX

Frantic Films Winnipeg

Thank you for your quick reply!

When I render a single maxwell file at the settings that I need locally, it takes about 40 hours.

I’ve spent about 6 hours testing different configurations and settings on trying to get deadline and the maxwell render to be split up among the two different computers. I’ve read the manual multiple times, but maybe I’ve overlooked something.

I need to render a single image, but at extremely high quality.

Perhaps there is a way to split up the single frame?

Ah, you mean rendering a SINGLE FRAME on two machines? This is supported in Maya, XSI and 3ds Max at the moment (as “Tile Rendering”).

Don’t think it is enabled in Maxwell, not even sure whether it is technically possible due to the way it calculates its solution (unbiased rendering).

Cheers,

Borislav “Bobo” Petrov

Technical Director 3D VFX

Frantic Films Winnipeg

Thank you,

I was able to successfully get all my machines running with tile rendering

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences