AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Single Frame Distributed Rendering in Turtle 3.1 using Deadline

Hallo iam looking for a render distributing software that can render a single frame in Turtle 3.1 on multiple office PCs… can i do this with Deadline ???

iam working as architecture designer so my main tool is Turtle 3.1 photo-realisticrenderer and iam rendering single frame pictures of huge complexity…

i dont need animation distributed frame by frame. i need single frame efficientlly calculated by a farm of mid-range office PCs… can i do that with Deadline in Maya 7 interface ??

is the TILE RENDERING feature somehow related to this single frame render distribution or thats is untrue…

if Deadline doesnt support single frame distribution can you possibly sugest some other render software ?? :slight_smile:

thanks

TILE RENDERING is in fact what we call the distributed rendering feature of Deadline. It supports both single frame and animation distribution in 3ds Max, Maya and XSI.

Multiple jobs are being submitted to the repository, each designated to calculate only a partial region (let’s call it a “tile”) of the final image. If the image format used is OpenEXR, we also provide an application to combine the tiles at the end automatically. (We are going to provide support for other common formats soon). Even if one is not saving to OpenEXR, the tiles would be rendered, but the final stitching of the final image would require some manual work, for example in Photoshop.

This is the theory of it.

I personally do not use Turtle and thus cannot tell whether it works well with the tile rendering feature of Maya - I would suggest giving it a try yourself, or waiting for one of our experienced Maya users to jump in…

According to the Maya FAQ,

http://software.franticfilms.com/index.aspx?page=deadline/maya/faq

Turtle is one of the supported renderers, so I would guess it would work.

Cheers,

Borislav “Bobo” Petrov

Technical Director 3D VFX

Frantic Films Winnipeg

TILE RENDERING sounds just like the think for me ! aka. SINGLE FRAME DIVISION AND DISTRIBUTION TO RENDER FARM…

Can You Mr. Petrov or anybody reading this topic confirm if this TILE RENDERING is fully supported by Turtle 3 in Maya 7 ?

Also did I get it correct that this TILE RENDERING is somehow integral part of Maya feature set or is it a “patented” function of Deadline engine ??

Iam asking because if this is more of a Maya feature and Deadline is “only” making the best of its use than Turtle should more probablly fall nicelly into the pipeline…

thanks for your previous quick response…

M

Deadline doesn't yet support Tile Rendering with Turtle, since previous versions of Turtle didn't support region rendering from the command line. However, it appears that Turtle 3.1 does support this feature, so I'm sure we can use it to support Tile Rendering with Turtle.

The Turtle 3.1 documentation only mentions Maya 8 with regards to the command line options, but I would expect them to work with Maya 7 too. We'll have to test this to make sure.

So I'm sure you've guessed by now that Deadline is simply making use of available command line options to support Tile Rendering. All Deadline does is split up the regions to render. :)

Cheers,
 - Ryan

thanks for your interest both of you guys :)) i really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Ryan iam not sure if your answer is Yes or No. I guess its my bad english (not my native language) but is than Deadline capable to drive Turtle 3.1 (or indeed any version of Turtle :slight_smile: to render TILES within single frame ??

I understand you cannot be testing all possible compatibility issues between every imaginable Renderer, Maya versions and Deadline… but since you list Turtle as fully supported renderer is there any tested combination of Maya version and Turtle version to actually support TILE RENDERING (and distribution) of single frames ? If so which is it ?

thanks and if there is anybody reading this topic who uses Turtle to distribute single frames over network render please send your setup list (Which Maya version, Turtle version)

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR YOUR INTEREST AGAIN

What Ryan mean was that the version of Turtle we have listed as supported in Mayta did NOT allow region rendering via command line parameters (Deadline just sends commands to all these 3rd party applications to tell them what to do, so if a program does not support a feature, then Deadline cannot support it either).

BUT Ryan also pointed out that the LATEST version of Turtle which we have not tested yet indicates the capability to render such regions, so we will have to test it out and ADD support for Tile rendering in the coming weeks if that is really the case. Also, there is a possibility that that feature could not be available in Maya 7 as the latest Turtle lists only Maya 8 as supported…

Short answer: not at this point, but possibly soon.

Cheers,

Bobo

(Not a native speaker either ;o)

ok so the most important word is “ADD” which means i cannot possibly force Deadline to support TILE RENDERING of single frame even if i would upgrade to MAYA 8 because you have to ADD this feature in next release of Deadline so i can only wait until that day :))

thanks

ok so the most important word

is “ADD” which means i cannot

possibly force Deadline to

support TILE RENDERING of

single frame even if i would

upgrade to MAYA 8 because you

have to ADD this feature in

next release of Deadline so i

can only wait until that day

:))

Uhmmm, you don’t know Deadline Support yet!!!

If it is easy to do, that day could be tomorrow ;o)

We will take a look at it ASAP.

Cheers,

Borislav “Bobo” Petrov

Technical Director 3D VFX

Frantic Films Winnipeg

In fact, this feature was so easy to add, we went back in time to before

you made your first post and put it in. So really, we’ve always

supported Tile Rendering with Turtle 3.1. :slight_smile:

Kidding. I was answering your questions from home, so I didn’t have the

code in front of me. I came into this work this morning planning to

figure out what would be involved in adding support for Tile Rendering

with Turtle, and it turns out we had already added that feature in the

last version of Deadline.

If you want to try the feature out for yourself, you can request a

30-day trial license here:

http://software.franticfilms.com/register.aspx?page=deadline/trial

We’re pretty sure it will work for Maya 7, so if you have any questions

or problems, let us know.

Sorry for the mix up. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

LOL GUYS YOU ARE WONDERFULL :)) VERY FUNNY :))

thanks and I will definitelly try your evaluation copy ASAP…

YOU’RE THE BEST :))

thanks again !

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences