AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Submitting 64bits from a 32bits workstation (3dsmax9)

Hello,

I cannot get to submit a job to a 64 bits rendernode from a 32 bits workstation. Is there something particular I should care about? (I have tried the force 64bits on/off option with no success).

Here is the log of the error (attached) in case you would be able to identified the problem with it.

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

It would appear that max is crashing during the render. This could be

related to the fact that you’re trying to render a 32 bit scene on a 64

bit machine, or it could be completely unrelated. Have to tried using

Deadline to render your scene on a 32 bit machine? Also, have you tried

opening that scene with a 64 bit version of max and rendering it locally

(preferrably on one of the slaves that is giving you the error)? Let us

know if you have, and what the results were.

Thanks!

The set-up is the following: 32bits workstation with licenced version of max, 3 x 32bits nodes with render-only version of max and 1 64bits node with trial version of max (testing migration to 64bits)

Launching the render from the workstation to other nodes (32bits) works fine.

Opening the .max file from the 64bits node and rendering locally works fine (except UI script error message at startup because of graphic card - (null driver on nodes)

Submitting the 32bits file to the 64bits node from the workstation results in crash at very begginning of render (opening of max window)

Opening the .max file from the 64bits node and submitting to repository locally does not work: smtd 2.6 script message: error accessing deadline repository code 1006 (although disk mapping identical to other nodes, and logged a same username)

where should I look out next?

tks

olivier

The 1006 error is a catch-all error trap using a try()catch() expression.

To debug what is really causing it, you could edit the script Deadline-SubmitMaxToDeadline26.mcr and remark that try()catch() part. If you do this and the script would crash, you would have a better idea what exactly went wrong.

The parts of the code that need attention are:

– if network root was found, try to automatically update submission script.

if theNetworkRoot != “” then

(

local goOn = true

SMTD_StartupDialog_Rollout.prg_loading.value = 30.0

SMTD_StartupDialog_Rollout.lbl_progress.text = “Updating Submission Script Functions…”

–try --REMARK THESE 2 LINES

–(

fnScript = theNetworkRoot + “\submission\3dsmax\SubmitMaxToDeadline_Functions.ms”

if doesFileExist fnScript then

(

fileIn fnScript quiet:true

)

)–end if goOn

)–if goOn after Functions

–) --REMARK THESE 2 LINES

–catch messageBox “Error Accessing Deadline Repository. (error code: 1006)” title:“SMTD 2.6”

If you need more details on how to do this, email me.

Cheers,

Borislav “Bobo” Petrov

Technical Director 3D VFX

Frantic Films Winnipeg

For information in case others would got similar problems.

Thanks to frantic support we ended up finding that max9 requires .NET version 2.0, while I only installed .net v1 provided with deadline. If you install from max dvd this should be automatic, however check it out when installing manually from a hard drive (which is often the case with rendernodes)

I can now render on 64bits nodes submitting from a 32bits workstation with Deadline.

Great !

Olivier

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences