AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

3dsmax Command Line add a mpx option file

Hello,

i’m currently testing deadline. i schedule jobs by using 3DS command line plugins, i can’t use a single path for all maps for end user.

i would like add a MXP option file by command line, how can i do ?

thanks.

a mxp file, is a option file where max looking for maps missing in your scene.

i schedule a job like this:

DeadlineCommand //manager/users/15/job_info_file //manager/DeadlineRepository/plugins/3dsmaxCmd/3dsmaxCmd.dlinit //users/15/scene.max

i would like add one option in job_info_file like: -pathFile: my_user_path.mxp

Gregory,

Assuming that you are submitting your jobs youself using DeadlineCommand.exe, you have to make these changes:

In the JobInfo file, you can add a new Key, for example called “pathFile” and assign to it the path of the MXP file.

If you want to submit the MXP file with the job, you could add it as auxiliary file to the submission arguments and possibly provide only the file name of the MXP to the pathFile key.
If you do not do this, you would have to place the MXP on a network location visible to all slaves and provide the FULL PATH to the MXP in the “pathFile” info key.

Finally, in the Deadline Repository, go into Plugins\3dsmaxCmd\ and open the file RenderArguments.ffs

This is where the command line arguments for the Max Command Line Renderer are specified. You can add the line

BlankIfEitherIsBlank(" -pathFile:", GetJobInfoEntryWithDefault(“pathFile”,"")) …

right after the -pixelAspect: line and before the last -rfw: line. This tells Deadline to provide the command line argument -pathFile: to the command line renderer if the pathFile key in the JobInfoFile is set, or skip it if it is blank or missing. According to the 3ds Max Reference, -pathFile: is the command line argument to pass an MXP file to.

Note that the MXP should contain paths that are resolvable from every slave, in other words network paths (UNC or mapped drives).

I have not tested this, but I think that is all you need to do to enable this command line option.

Cheers,

Borislav “Bobo” Petrov

Technical Director 3D VFX

Frantic Films Winnipeg

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

please fin my jobinfo file:

Plugin=3dsmaxCmd

Frames=0-50

Priority=50

Pool=3dsmax

Name=petite scene test 001

PoolExclusive=true

Comment=Testing

OutputDirectory0=\houseserver\users\15\render<br>
OutputFilename0=test####.png

UserName=usertest

InitialStatus=Suspended

pathFile=\houseserver\users\15\user.mxp

Please find my RenderArgument.ffs:

outputDir = GetJobInfoEntryWithDefault( “OutputDir”, “” );

if( outputDir != “” )

{

if( Not( DirExists( outputDir ) ) )

{

MakeDir( outputDir );

}

}

return “”" … GetDataFilename() … “”" …

" -v:" … GetPluginConfigEntry(“MaxCmd_VerboseLevel”) …

" -start:" … StartFrame() …

" -end:" … EndFrame() …

BlankIfEitherIsBlank( BlankIfEitherIsBlank(" -cam:"", Trim(GetJobInfoEntryWithDefault(“Camera”,""))), “”") …

BlankIfEitherIsBlank(" -w:", GetJobInfoEntryWithDefault(“ImageWidth”,"")) …

BlankIfEitherIsBlank(" -h:", GetJobInfoEntryWithDefault(“ImageHeight”,"")) …

BlankIfEitherIsBlank(" -pixelAspect:", GetJobInfoEntryWithDefault(“PixelAspect”,"")) …

BlankIfEitherIsBlank(" -pathFile:", GetJobInfoEntryWithDefault(“pathFile”,"")) …

" -rfw:" … GetJobInfoEntryWithDefault(“ShowVFB”,“1”);

please find the result:

$ ./DeadlineCommand //houseserver/users/15/jobinfo //manager/DeadlineRepository/plugins/3dsmaxCmd/3dsmaxCmd.dlinit //houseserver/users/15/petite.max

Deadline Command 2.6 [v2.6.24779 R]

Submitting to Repository: \Manager\DeadlineRepository

Submission Contains the Following:

1. Auxiliary File #1 ("//manager/DeadlineRepository/plugins/3dsmaxCmd/3dsmaxCmd.dlinit")
  2. Auxiliary File #2 ("//houseserver/users/15/petite.max")

JOB WARNINGS:

Key-value pair not supported: “pathFile=\houseserver\users\15\user.mxp”

Result=Success

JobID=00a_050_x_6a98648c

Something is missing somewhere ?

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

please fin my jobinfo file:

Plugin=3dsmaxCmd

Frames=0-50

Priority=50

This is NOT the JobInfoFile, this is the SubmitInfoFile. The SubmitInfo controls the submission parameters and causes Deadline to create an XML file in the repository containing all these parameters. In contrast, the JobInfoFile is sent as auxiliary file to the repository and can contain custom key values - it is an ASCII file in the format of an INI file.

In your submission, for some reason you are specifying the .dlinit file as the jobInfoFile which is completely incorrect. You should create BOTH the submitInfoFile and the JobInfoFile yourself as described in the Online Documentation and place the pathFile key in the JobInfoFile.

Now there is an unfortunate misunderstanding in the documentation - the “job submission info file” is called “job_info.job” in the reference, which is misleading. The second file which I call “job info file” is called “max_info.job” which is the plugin-specific info. That’s the file you have to put the pathFile info into.

See the bottom of this page:

http://software.franticfilms.com/index.aspx?page=deadline/command

QUOTE:

Submitting A Job

To submit a 3dsmax scene (ie. C:\MyScene.max) to Deadline, you must first create a job submission info file (ie. C:\job_info.job) and a 3dsmax plugin info file (ie. C:\max_info.job). More information on creating the job submission info file and the plugin info file can be found here.

Once the files are created, you can submit the scene to Deadline:

DeadlineCommand “C:\job_info.job” “C:\max_info.job” “C:\MyScene.max”

--------------------------------

job_info.job would have the content you posted.

max_info.job would be the file containing the pathFile=… key.

It can also contain additional keys like

Padding=4

RemovePadding=0

IgnoreMissingExternalFiles=1

IgnoreMissingUVWs=1

IgnoreMissingDLLs=0

UseSlaveMode=1

UseSilentMode=0

RestartRendererMode=0

MaxVersionToForce=32bit

FailOnBlackFrames=0

BlackPixelPercentage=1

BlackPixelThreshold=0.1

ImageWidth=640

ImageHeight=480

and so on. These parameters usually have defaults internally and thus are not compulsory. Some of them will be shown in the plugin-specific tab of the Job Properties dialog (Ctrl+P).

Cheers,

Borislav “Bobo” Petrov

Technical Director 3D VFX

Frantic Films Winnipeg

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences