AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

max-Submit Visible doesn't respect layer visibility.

It looks like Submit Visible only doesn't factor if the layer is hidden. Since its impossible to decouple the two, it would be better if the submit visible respect what is actually visible in the viewport.

Additionally, I'd prefer it to be optionally: "submit renderable and dependants." Because I'm currently set my scene to "render hidden." (Something I never don't remember ever doing before.)

So with RPM or scene states you might have objects that aren't needed for every pass, and you want to remove them when not needed.  I already mentioned this to Grant months ago. I should check if he already handles this in his submission panel.

Cheerios,

Ben.

Hmmm, theoretically it should.

The main code for geometry collecting is:

local theNodesToSave = for o in geometry where not o.isHiddenInVpt and o.renderable and (o.primaryVisibility or o.secondaryVisibility) collect o

isHiddenInVpt is supposed to handle hidden by layer, hidden by category, hidden by Hide Frozen Object and hidden by node property (at least according to the documentation :wink:

So if an object is not visible in the viewport for ANY reason, it should not be collected. On top of that, it removes non-renderable and objects that are excluded from both primary and secondary visibility.

The dependency is handled by Max itself - I just call SaveNodes and Max takes care of saving dependents, unless these are indirectly referenced by pre-Max 8 style scripted controllers.

BUT note the disclaimer next to the checkbox ;o)

I take no responsibility if it does not work in all cases, as it is labeled “experimental”.

Unless we are talking about a different Submit Visible feature… :o)

If you intend to render hidden, you should not check the Submit Visible Only option at all. I don’t see what good the option would do if just a couple of helpers would be removed from the submission. If I was respecting the Render Hidden flag when doing the collection, I guess 99% of the objects would have to be send anyway.

Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Borislav “Bobo” Petrov

Technical Director 3D VFX

Frantic Films Winnipeg

I should do another test. But the initial results show that a whole layer of hidden, (but renderable) layer of objects got sent anyway.

I just added that part about renderability because my current scene is something where I don't want to have to hide and unhide objects, since they aren't viewport friendly.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences