AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Repository Locations (long post)

The installation of Deadline I have been working on is being deployed at a University. One of the inerrant problems of setting things up for education is the ability to configure applications to suit the teaching and learning environment, which in general terms means let the students do as much as possible without giving them the opportunity to break it.

One of the problems I have been trying to solve revolves around allowing students access to the repository in or to submit their jobs. We run Novell Netware and our entire directory structure revolves around the NDS. I have 8 nodes and 1 Windows 2003 Server running the repository. It is problematic for me to create users on the Repository file system (Windows) and generic user accounts are frowned upon.

For Output

I have been able to map a Novell File Share to each of the Nodes and the repository server that is exactly the same as the mappings the students receive when logging into the workstation this allows the clients to set the output in Max to J: drive and the nodes see the same location and write the files there. This is really good as it means we can leverage the NDS Trustees etc.

For Input

What I was hoping to do was create the actual repository in the j: drive location as well, this way the students by default have access to write/submit their jobs from Max. I have tested this and all nodes will see the repository, the students can submit to the repository, The nodes will pick up the jobs for rendering but thats as far as it goes. As each node loads up Max to render the frame/tile it crashes and all nodes will continue to do this until the job is deleted or cancelled. I had read that there might be problems with mappings so I tried the exact same scenario with UNC paths with the same end result.

Thanks for reading this far :slight_smile:

Any help would be appreciated its my only stumbling block atm

Cheers

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Are there error reports being generated for these max jobs? You can view

the errors in the monitor by right-clicking on the job and selecting Job

Reports -> View Error Reports. Feel free to post an error report for us

to take a look at. Hopefully it contains some useful information that

might help narrow down what the problem is.

Another thing you can check (if you haven’t done so already) is opening

up max on one of your rendernodes and try to render one of the

problematic scenes from the max interface. If it renders fine, than at

least we know that Deadline SHOULD be able to render the scene without

any problems.

Cheers,

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences