AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Noobie question about hold()

Hello,

I am getting started with the free version of deadline 2.7 because I’ve had it with backburner.

I am hitting a problem with trying to submit a file from 3D Studio VIZ. I get this error:

[2:16:09 PM] : >Job Submission Started…

[2:16:09 PM] : >Submitting 3dsmax8 Render Job to Local Repository…

[2:16:09 PM] : --SUBMISSION MESSAGE START---------------------------------------------------------------------

[2:16:09 PM] : Saving the file via hold() did not work.

[2:16:09 PM] : --SUBMISSION MESSAGE END-----------------------------------------------------------------------

[2:16:09 PM] : Ready.

As far as I know, my Repository is set up correctly on the same computer that I’m submitting from. What doe it mean that it can’t save via hold()? Do I not have the repository labeled somewhere?

I also get the error “RenderPluginException – Could not find file C:\Program Files\Autodesk\VIZ2007\3dsmaxcmd.exe, the 3ds max command line renderer.” When I try to render a job submited from the monitor…any advice?

Thanks!

Aaron

Hello,

I am getting started with the

free version of deadline 2.7

because I’ve had it with

backburner.

I am hitting a problem with

trying to submit a file from

3D Studio VIZ. I get this

error:

[2:16:09 PM] : >Job Submission

Started…

[2:16:09 PM] : >Submitting

3dsmax8 Render Job to Local

Repository…

[2:16:09 PM] : --SUBMISSION

START-------------------------

------------------------------

--------------

[2:16:09 PM] : Saving the file

via hold() did not work.

[2:16:09 PM] : --SUBMISSION

END---------------------------

------------------------------

--------------

[2:16:09 PM] : Ready.

As far as I know, my

Repository is set up correctly

on the same computer that I’m

submitting from. What doe it

mean that it can’t save via

hold()? Do I not have the

repository labeled somewhere?

I also get the error

“RenderPluginException –

Could not find file C:\Program

Files\Autodesk\VIZ2007\3dsmaxc

md.exe, the 3ds max command

line renderer.” When I try to

render a job submited from the

monitor…any advice?

Thanks!

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

This is not a newbie question, but AFAIK you are the first one to encounter this problem.

In short, when Max is submitting to Deadline, we try to use the Hold() method (Edit>Hold) which creates a temp. copy of your scene in the Autoback folder without changing the current name and path of your file or even touching the Requires Save flags. This is because Max 5,6,7 could not perform a save without actually changing the current path. It would be possible in the most recent Max versions, but we have to keep Deadline compatible with all Max versions since 2004.

So the submitter looks to see if there is a file maxhold.mx in the Autoback directory, if there is one it renames it to maxhold.tmp and then calls holdMaxFile() which saves your scene to maxhold.mx.

Then it checks to see if the file exists and if there is no maxhold.mx in the Autoback folder, it shows the message you got.

If the file is there, then the save was successful and it moves the file over to the deadline temp folder from where it is sent to the repository, and then renames the old maxhold.tmp back to its original name as if nothing happened…

For some reason, performing hold on your machine does not work as expected - make sure the Autoback folder is not write-protected, also try to perform Main Menu > Edit > Hold and then Main Menu > Edit > Fetch and see if these work correctly without any file corruption or error messages.

If nothing suspicious happens, please let us know so we can look for alternatives.

Hold and Fetch worked for me just now without a hitch.

I also have not changed my autobackup location in the ‘Configure User Paths’ dialog box.

Thanks for the help!

Aaron

Hold and Fetch worked for me

just now without a hitch.

I also have not changed my

autobackup location in the

‘Configure User Paths’ dialog

box.

Thanks for the help!

Wait, I have not helped yet :o)

Next thing to look for - can you go to the Autoback folder and make sure that VIZ is using the same naming convention as Max - what is the name of the hold file? It could be vizhold.mx instead of maxhold.mx, then we would be screwed ;o)

I don’t have VIZ installed on my machine here and it would take until Monday to get access to VIZ, so if you can send me the names of the files in the autoback folder, it would be very helpful!

Cheers,

Bobo

I have vizhold.mx and vizhold.bak (NOT MAXHOLD.

there is also a maxback.bak (But I don’t think that has anything to do with this)

I have vizhold.mx and

vizhold.bak (NOT MAXHOLD.

there is also a maxback.bak

(But I don’t think that has

anything to do with this)

See? Now I am helping :o)

I will fix this and upload a patch. Then you will test it and tell me if it fixes the problem…

Ok, try this:

Go to your Repository, find the folder \submission\3dsmax\ and backup the file 'SubmitMaxToDeadline_Functions.ms".

Then unzip the content of the attached ZIP file into that folder to replace the file.

Launch VIZ and try to submit - it will pull the new version from the repository and should use the vizhold.mx file during the submission.

I am using the MAXScript method

maxOps.productAppID

which is supposed to return #max in Max and #viz when running VIZ. You can try calling it in the Listener to make sure you are actually getting #viz as result. But in general, if I don’t get #max back, I attempt to use vizhold.mx now instead. If it fails, it will tell you which file name it tried to use…

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Bobo

Hey…I"m SO sorry, but I need to go for the weekend. I’ll let you know this Monday. I’m sorry…but…well…Friday night is more important than hold().

Thanks a bunch for the help! I really really mean that.

Aaron

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences