AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

textures need to be on network before submission ?

confused about several things of how deadline works, the manual section “How it works” doesn’t show me clearly “how” deadline works

1. the texture need to be on network before submission? the maya submission script only copy the scene file to the repository, also the cache files if i want to render syflex scene, maya hair or particle caches ? I have to user another script to publish the textures onto a network share to make sure each render client can access them ?

2. How deadline works, I just don’t understand how the scene files are manipulated, when i submit, if i checked the optionbox “Transfer scene file”, then my file will be copied to repository ,It’s \server\DeadlineRepository\jobs\ right ? then the render client will copy the file to its own folder C:\Deadline\temp , and i don’t see my scene file. just several .job files. I tried to change the file name extension to mb, maya can’t open it , so where is my scene file stored actually, and at each phase of the rendering time, where is it ?

I did some tests, when i submit a scene, the scene file will be transfered to the repository \server\DeadlineRepository\jobs\00a_050_o_4fd57cf7 , and then to the client who will render the scene , my scene appeared at C:\Deadline\slave\jobsData. but what about the texture and other cache ? deadline will not create the maya project structure folder at C:\Deadline\slave\jobsData and copy the whole project to here ?

thanks for any clues

another question is how to make deadline client automatically start in a domain environment, if the artist workstation has no one logged on ? (He restart the computer after work, or he is taking several days off) the screensaver deadline mode still works when nobody logged on ?

I’ve used Muster from Virtual Vertex before, i just don’t understand how deadline works in detail, I know that there is not a central server dispatching jobs and the client search jobs by themselves, but how exactly in detail ?

I guess there r 2 solutions for me

1. store texture on UNC path prior to submission ( already on network in

prior pipeline)

2. write a script by myself and publish all textures onto a network share.

change texture path in scene file to absolute unc path

is that right?

Hi Jiang,

We always recommend option (1) for Deadline users. It simplifies the

process (you not having to write your own script) and ensures that the

slave machines will always be able to access any texture or other

reference files your scenes require. In fact, this is the exact setup we

use here at Frantic Films.

For your previous post, when you submit a job to Deadline with the

“Submit Scene File” option checked, the scene file is copied to the job

folder in the repository. Then when the slaves go to render, they copy

the scene file to c:\deadline\slaves\jobsData. Because the textures are

stored on the network, Deadline doesn’t copy over anything else.

Currently, Deadline requires a user to be logged in to run (we are

working on adding “Deadline as a service” for an upcoming release). You

can set up your machines to auto-login on startup, but I’m not sure if

that will help your current situation:

http://www.franticfilms.com/software/support/deadline/networksetup.php#Slave_Machines_-_Auto_Login

Cheers,

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences