AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

PATCH for 3ds max 2008

Hi there!

When will support for 3ds max 2008 be available? Is it possible to hack the max9 plugin to get it to work meanwhile waiting for a proper plugin release?

cheers all!

wink

Peter Brauner

Hi Peter,

Here is the first attempt at support for 3dsmax 2008. All tests here

seem to show that it is working fine, so give it a try and let us know

how it goes.

To install:

1. Unzip 3dsmax2008.zip to \your\repository\plugins
  2. Back up the content of \your\Repository\submission\3dsmax and then

unzip SMTD_2007_1029.zip in the same folder. It will NOT overwrite the

private sanity check definitions or sticky settings INI files, only the

actual submission code.
  3. Copy SubmitMaxToDeadline.mcr to [3dsmax 2008 install

dir]\ui\macroscripts, then run the script from 3dsmax using

MAXScript>Run Scriptā€¦ - this is necessary to update the SMTD loader.

There are some new files being loaded that werenā€™t there before.
  4. Unzip Submit_3dsmax_To_Deadline.zip to

\your\repository\scripts\Submission\Submit_3dsmax_To_Deadline
  5. From the Monitor in super user mode, run Tools -> Configure Plugins,

and configure the 3dsmax2008 plugin youā€™ll find on the list on the left.

Cheers,

Hi!

Seems to run like a charm so far. Will keep you posted if I run into any bugs.

The only thing needed now is osx support to our shake and after effects stations. :slight_smile:

cheers!

Peter Brauner

VFX Artist

Effektfabriken

Sweden

Iā€™ve been going through, and I know its in the works, but any idea when we might get something like this for Max2009?

Max 2009 support will be included with the Deadline 3.0 release, which

is currently in beta:

http://support.franticfilms.com/wb/default.asp?action=9&boardid=2&read=1228&fid=6

Cheers,

Many thanks Ryan, I suppose weā€™ll see if we can sign up for thatā€¦ and hope things go well. Most appreciated.

The link to the forums seems to be broken from the Deadline main page and the attachements in this thread are gone too. Iā€™m in dire need of the max 2008 patch because I just updated our repository and it blew away the max2008 folder. Is anyone able to get me a copy quick?? Iā€™m dead in the water hereā€¦

Mike
Straightface Studios

Hi Mike,

Sorry about this. We just switched our forum server and backend, and while we were able to transfer all the posts, it looks like the attachments didnā€™t make it. Iā€™m going to be out of the office the next week, but when I get back in Iā€™ll see if we can get the attachments posted again. If not, Iā€™ll at least get the 3dsmax2008 patch reposted.

When you updated the repository, it shouldnā€™t have blown away any additional plugins (like the 3dsmax 2008 one). Did you uninstall the old repository first, or did you just run the installer over the existing one? If you did the latter, the Repository installer should have made a backup of all the plugins. In the repository root folder, open the ā€˜backupā€™ folder, and then find the most recent folder (the folder names contain the date of the backup). In here should be a ā€˜pluginsā€™ folder that should contain all the plugins as they were before running the installer. Hopefully the 3dsmax2008 plugin was copied over as well. Take a look and let us know!

Cheers,

• Ryan

Hi Ryan, thanks for responding! So hereā€™s what happenedā€¦I did the latter, running the installer over the previous version of the Repository. Then when I tried to render from max I got an error in Deadline submission that said "Error: plugin name specified by job, ā€œ3dsmax10ā€, is not a known plugin name. ". So that made me think that there was a problem with the update installer. Unfortunately at that time I didnā€™t realize there was a backup copy lying around :frowning:. After that, I uninstalled the current version of the repository because I thought the install had gone bad, and reinstalled the 2.7.27948 version. However I still got the ā€œ3dsmax10ā€ error and on top of that, when I try to run the deadline mcr in max, I get:

Failed To Find the file [RegionManipulator.ms] in Deadline Repository. (error code: 1040)

Failed To Find the file [TileManipulator.ms] in Deadline Repository. (error code: 1042)

Looks like when I uninstalled the repository it took the backups with it and now the only thing thatā€™s backed up is a few files in the Bin folder. Thanks for your help on thisā€¦and I hope these problems are just related to the max2008 pluginā€¦

Ah, the problem was with the submission script - the one that was included with the patch was updated as well to support 3dsmax 2008, and would have been in the submission folder in the backup directory, but now that itā€™s goneā€¦

If Bobo is reading this (and Iā€™m sure he is), perhaps when he gets in the office next week he could zip up and upload the \our\repository\plugins\3dsmax2008 and \our\repository\submission\3dsmax folders, which should provide everything you need to get 3dsmax2008 up and running again.

Cheers,

• Ryan

Well, I can go to the office NOW (well, after I have lunch which is in the oven already and waiting for me) and upload the latest versions of the max2008 and submission\3dsmax folders.

Deadline Support has a certain image to maintain, Saturday or not, a 5 minutes drive isnā€™t a big deal :wink:

THANK YOU BOBO!!! We loooove you! lol :smiley: :smiley: Hopefully we can get this all working right over here

Thanks everyone! Things seem to be up and running once again. I only wish that other companies were so helpful to their customers! :slight_smile:

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences