AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

memory issue

Hi!

I’m working on some big scene in 3dsmax8 + vray1.5 rc4 + Deadline 2.7.

It throws error #1006 when I’m trying to submit a job to deadline. I’ve searched the forum and found this thread - http://support.franticfilms.com/wb/default.asp?action=9&fid=7&read=417

Borislav suggests to edit submit maxscript file to outline the exact problem.

So I’ve edited maxscript and got this -

MAXScript MacroScript Error Exception: – Runtime error: Unable to increase heap size to: 67108864

full error message -

– Error occurred in anonymous codeblock

– Frame:

– SMTDPathsStruct: StructDef:SMTDPathsStruct

– SMTDSettingsStructure: StructDef:SMTDSettingsStructure

– Error occurred during fileIn in <File:\efes\DeadlineRepository\submission\3dsmax\SubmitMaxToDeadline_Functions.ms>

– called in anonymous codeblock

– Frame:

– theNetworkRoot: “\efes\DeadlineRepository”

– sanityCheckGeneralFunctions: undefined

– scriptPart4: undefined

– fullSuccess: false

– goOn: true

– fileHandle: <File:c:\deadline\deadline.ini>

– mainScript: undefined

– sanityCheckPrivateFunctions: undefined

– scriptPart2: undefined

– scriptPart5: undefined

– fnScript: “\efes\DeadlineRepository\submission\3dsmax\SubmitMaxToDeadline_Functions.ms”

– index: undefined

– fileLine: “User=atrium”

– scriptPart1: undefined

– scriptPart3: undefined

– sanityCheckScript: undefined

MAXScript MacroScript Error Exception: – Runtime error: Unable to increase heap size to: 67108864 <<

‘heapfree’ command shows 4482524 bytes free.

The scene is big, but after restarting windows submitting works well, but several times. Then it begins to throw 1006 error.

Sergo.

Hi!

Good job catching the error! How much memory do you have? Looks like I assumed incorrectly that increasing the Heap to 64MB wouldn’t hurt anyone, but on a 32 bit Max with lots of memory usage it appears to be a problem.

Some suggestions:

1. Try setting the Heap to 64MB in the Customize>Preferences>MAXScript tab - this will force Max to start with a large heap already and SMTD would probably not even attempt to touch it. Of course, your scene might have troubles loading, so…

2. Open the file SubmitMaxToDeadline_Functions.ms in your Repository\Submission\3dsmax folder and search for “HeapSize”. There must be a line which tells MAXScript to increase the Heap to 64MB if it is less. Either remark that line or change the number to a lower value (16MB, 32MB or so), save the file and restart the submitter - this should pull the edited version from the repository.

3. Try to start Max, open the Submitter, THEN load the scene for submission - this will give MAXScript enough memory for large scripts, then the scene will take the rest.

The real solution nowadays is switching to Max 9/2008 in 64bit where memory is not an issue anymore. But I know there are reasons for people to stick to Max 8 and we have to get Deadline Submission with all these versions, so please let us know which method worked (or not).

Happy Holidays from Bulgaria!

Bobo

Thank you Bobo!

I didn’t tried first method but other 2 work well. I’ve chosen 2-nd method. I think it’s most clean and logic.

Yes, max9 is great but we really sticked to the max8 due to some plugins and some bugs in max9.

Happy Holidays from Russia! :slight_smile:

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences