AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

(HELP) Installing Krakatoa MY plug-in for Apple OSX

Hey everyone,

I have a pretty amateurish query about the installation process required for the Apple OSX version of Krakatoa for Maya. I’ve been going through the process of buying Krakatoa MY for a university project of mine and I thankfully received a trial download and license so I can make my final decision before buying the plug-in outright.

However, it turns out I’m pretty new to installing plug-ins for use within Maya abad I’ve been struggling to find an intelligible tutorial or guideline of requirements for installing Krakatoa MY. I’ve been through the installation process as normal and nothing has appeared within Maya. I’ve even messed with the script files and moved them around into the Maya plug-in folder itself and still been unable to access Krakatoa’s features.

Basically, I’m just trying to track down a tutorial or maybe someone with a lot more experience with Maya could point me in the right direction? I would really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Hi, if you are having trouble seeing Krakatoa inside of Maya, the most likely culprit is that you need to set Krakatoa to “auto-load” inside of Maya’s plugin manager. Try this:

1. Open Maya
  2. Go to the “Windows” menu, select “Settings and Preferences”, and select “Plug-in Manager”.
  3. Scroll down to where you see “MayaKrakatoa” listed.
  4. Enable “Load” and “Auto load”.

After that, a “Krakatoa” shelf menu item should appear, and Krakatoa should become listed in the rendering menu.

Did that work?

Hey Conrad,

It turns out this was the thing I was missing the whole time! Can’t believe I missed that box to tick when it was right in front of me! Aaaah!

Krakatoa is now a usable renderer for me so thank you for pointing me in the right direction :slight_smile:

Good to hear you got it working.

On Windows, I was able to automatically enable it, but couldn’t do the same on OS X. Instead, there’s a message box that pops up with some instructions, but it’s very easy to miss.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences