AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

Krakatoa Issue : Can't render an animation

Hello everyone,

It’s all in the title but i’ll explain myself, i am on maya 2017 and i have to render a wispy smoke animation with Krakatoa, but when i come to the render part, for 1 frame it work perfectly but i can’t render several frames, i tried the batch render, but it doesn’t work and i don’t really know what to do with the PTR saver/loader (and the loader makes my maya crash every time).

I have already managed to do this a few months ago, but i don’t remember at all how i did this. So if someone can help me i would be grateful,

Thank you !

Hi Nicolas.

Batch rendering of Krakatoa through the Maya UI is broken in Maya 2017. We’re working on getting this fixed.
In the mean time, it still renders correctly when using the command line, but this requires a Krakatoa render node license. If you’re on Windows you can do this by opening command prompt and running the following command:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2017\bin\Render.exe" -r kmy "C:\path\to\scenefile.mb"

If you’re using a different operating system, I’d be happy to provide more specific instructions for that.

If you don’t mind me asking, are you using Maya 2017 Update 3? Also, does Maya crash when you create a PRTLoader or at some other point when using it?

Hello again Nicolas.

A better workaround–and one that will work with a Krakatoa Maya workstation license–is to open the “Script Editor” window (this can be done by clicking the button in the bottom right of the main Maya window (when using the default workspace anyway) with an icon that looks like “{;}”). Make sure you’re using the “MEL” tab and not the “Python” tab and then type the following:

RunKrakatoaBatchRender("");

Then press the double arrow button at the top of the Script Editor window to execute the script. This should cause Krakatoa to do a batch render within the Maya process.

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, do you know if this will be fixed in the next 1 or 2 months ? I really need it for my end year project.
I’ll try the command though.
Yes, i am using maya 2017 update 3, and at the moment i click on the PTRLoader, maya is very slow and i can’t see anything in the viewport.
I just saw your last message, ill try it too, thanks again !

Hello again Nicolas.

It turns out this is a known bug in Maya 2017 Update 3 and Autodesk has released a patch for one of their scripts which is available from here: knowledge.autodesk.com/support/ … ate-3.html

With respect to the PRTLoader issue, which operating system are you using, and which viewport renderer are you using (this can be found in the viewport’s “Renderer” menu).

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences