AWS Thinkbox Discussion Forums

DOF and holdout meshes?

Is there any way to blur the holdout mesh geometry the same way as the particles? Without blurring we get sharp holdouts in a beautiful blurred rendering.

I guess you would have to match the DOF in the renderer of your choice as well to match the matte…

Well, this will not help if the matte object has a sharp corner in my krakatoa rendering. Imagine a sphere in the middle of a particle cloud. The sphere is a mesh and used as matte object. The particles have nice DOF whereas the edges of the sphere are aways sharp.

I see, well thats a limitation I guess

The holdouts themselves will always produce a “sharp” edge in the final render. This is due to the fact that semi-occluded pixels cannot be composited “over” the geometry render.

This tutorial explains why holdout meshes appear to have sharp edges and how compositing and cutouts work:
thinkboxsoftware.com/kmy-com … nd-mattes/

The tutorial is for Krakatoa Maya, but the exact same thing is done in Krakatoa SR, if you enable “occluded” particles in the render, and specify a file name in your output files. The function is:
void krakatoa_renderer::enable_occluded_rgba_render( bool enable );
and providing a filename in the file_saver class if you’re using it.

But again, the edges will appear sharp in the Krakatoa render until you composite with the background particles.

Privacy | Site terms | Cookie preferences